1959 A112 Rearend Question

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:21 pm

1959 A112 Rearend Question

Hello,

We pulled the rearend out of are recently acquired project 1959 A112, and it looks to me like a Ford 9 inch. I attached some pics. I'm guessing this isn't original...
Anyone have any insight? I'm curious now....
Attachments
20190913_192035.jpg
Resized_20190913_184646_6906.jpeg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:34 pm

Re: 1959 A112 Rearend Question

You can google Ford 9 inch and do the comparison yourself. I would say what you have is not a Ford 9 inch.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:22 am

Looks like an IHC rear to me, only thing somewhat similar to a Ford is the center drop out, but many rear axles are built that way, not just the Ford, Chry used it on their 8 3/4" and IHC built their axles for both light and heavy trucks using that method.
It make setting up the gear-set easy on the bench, and changing axle ratio's easy when you an just change the center.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:27 pm

Interesting.
I googled the numbers on it but haven't come up with much yet.
My line setting sheet says RA5. Hopefully I can find some info online. I'd like to pull the axles and open it up to at a minimum replace bearings and seals.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:17 pm

Do the bearings need replacing? If the bearings are good, DO NOT DISTURB.
The seals should have a visible number on the metal seal shell. That number is universal and easy to get, if it is still in production.
http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/inde ... les.91438/

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:40 pm

Not sure until I can inspect them. My son and I recently bought this as a project for him. It's been sitting for quite some time which concerns me when it comes to things like bearings, etc. If they are good I'll most likely run them though.
Do you know if the axles just get tapped out after removing the brake assemblies? I have everything disassembled and tapped them a bit with much effect. I dont want to start hammering on them if I'm missing a step...
I'm having little luck lately finding anything online about this machine, which in some respects is kind of cool. Not too many around.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:42 pm

Rare and not too many around is just fine if a person has a Duesenberg or an original Bugatti. You have an old truck. Most of, if not all of the used parts are equally worn out and not good enough to be replacement parts. It is very likely more than one person is looking for the same parts. Jay Leno can afford to have that rare part custom made for that multimillion dollar collectable. The same cost of making a part for and Old IHC is the same as the price of making a rare Duesenberg part.
Rare is a curse when it comes to getting parts and finding a shop that is willing to do any work at blue-collar prices.
I have long been a proponent of using modern components to get an old vehicle safely on the road. If any person has an old vehicle languishing in a shed, somewhere, I cannot imagine much fun in that. I have always enjoyed the parts chase but, for me, there came a time when I stopped looking for the impossible.
In the last 60 - 70 plus years, the mechanics of how things work have become so much improved. Some of this was to eliminate persons or make the components more assembly line friendly. The side benefit was often a better machine.
The options are many and these options have been discussed in detail, on this forum.
There are always the few persons who rise out of their dirt floor sheds, in righteous indignance, suggesting the OEM is just fine. I have to wonder if there might be some fear of change and hanging onto the way it always was is more comfortable, for them. While I respect any persons who has become a repository for millions of bites of original mechanical information, maybe this is crippling their imagination when it comes to modernization and substitution.
Try to not forget the names Ford 8.8 axle and the almost endless number of DANA axles that have been made.
This is a suggestion, only.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:39 pm

I appreciate the insight!
I'll check out those axles.

Return to A, B, C and D Series