Bench racing diesel ideas....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:42 am

Re: Bench racing diesel ideas....

Wow, that is a good price for Diesel fuel. We are paying $1.44 for a litre. Just across the river, in Richmond, I've seen Diesel fuel priced $0.45 higher.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:51 am

nikkinutshop wrote:Wow, that is a good price for Diesel fuel. We are paying $1.44 for a litre. Just across the river, in Richmond, I've seen Diesel fuel priced $0.45 higher.

Still cheaper than here. Right now we're just over US$2 for a liter. When it comes to fuel prices it sucks to live in Europe.
---
Paul Wargenstahm
Lord of Chaol Ghleann

Feel free to visit my IH pages at http://ih.wargenstahm.se
for tips, tricks, and lots of build pics and info.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:46 pm

Wow! If it were they expensive here, I'd start learning about biodiesel.... I might still need to look into that :yay:

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:38 pm

Isaac, Take a look thru this site.
http://www.dieselenginetrader.com/engines.cfm?ID=19

I found a few 4BT's under "Runners" that had a trans included,one place was in IL and have more than one for under $2500. Might be the one I saw at $2250?
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:29 pm

boy, There's so many choices.... I like the bread truck option a little better, considering that I could buy a whole truck for $2500 and then scrap the aluminum for another $1000.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:13 am

Isaaciniowa wrote:Wow! If it were they expensive here, I'd start learning about biodiesel.... I might still need to look into that :yay:

That's kinda what I do... Right now I'm running on a blend (not bio-diesel) of diesel, veggie oil, and other oils that will increase the global warming. :jester: It's getting cold here and we could use some of that... :whistling2:
The reason for the blend is that I'm still not finished with my automated bio-diesel cooker. Still need to source some of the electronic stuff like PH sensors, and pumps that withstand the lye/methanol mix.

-Paul
---
Paul Wargenstahm
Lord of Chaol Ghleann

Feel free to visit my IH pages at http://ih.wargenstahm.se
for tips, tricks, and lots of build pics and info.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:43 am

I looked on Craigslist under "box van diesel 3.9" to find that one. Not 100% sure it's a 4bt, but it's a possibility.

You could add "cummins" to your search to narrow it down more. "4bt" is probably more detail than most duffers will put in their ads (if they even know! ;) ) There's probably something closer to you. Good luck! :D

Also- searchtempest will run a search on all the Craigslist within a certain radius of your zip code. Kinda buggy sometimes, but can save you a bunch of typing. It will also save your recent searches.
"How the heck did that happen?"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:04 pm

Better make sure the gate is open so the cows can get in when they come home!
You could be waiting awhile for a good 4BT in one of those step vans at a bargain price,did a search and not many under 8K. The few that were looked way too nice to scrap anyway.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:29 pm

Isaaciniowa said: WOW! those trucks probably cost some major $$$ too.
Those are the rules, for the most part. Here is the thing, the more that one can do for themselves, the less it will cost, potentially. It is all of the specialized equipment that comes from the go-faster-store that pushes the cost way up. We used to say there was no substitute for cubic inches. I'm thinking that this could easily apply to cubic dollars as well as the engine. I think that it may be possible to make a very acceptable and quick modified Binder pickup without breaking the bank. If one cannot control their desire to rush through a project, it will cost more. Build it safe and reliability will follow naturally. If it is possible to live without a fancy paint job, thousands of dollars can be saved. put off the fancy upholstery until later.
One trap that has to be carefully considered it the silly notion of keeping it all original. As time goes on this is becoming less and less possible and has the ability to stall a project 100%. It is best to have a plan and leave several spaces between the lines for the inevitable changes that will have to be made because OEM is so much more expensive. Don't take anything apart before checking for replacement parts. Some machine shops will not consider rebuilding these old engines. Rebuilding an engine is not for amateurs.

minor edit for missed word and spelling mistake
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:43 pm

GRAIGSLIST SEARCH. Try using an All of Craigslist search and enter Cummins 4bt. It works for me every time. Try also Diesel Grumman Van. If you get hung up on the "too nice to scrap" thing, you have lost your focus.
There is a nice CUMMINS 4bta for sale on Craigslist Vancouver BC. $2800 iir. Less expensive than an SD220 rebuild.
PreviousNext

Return to A, B, C and D Series