Head Bolt Sealant

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:23 pm

Head Bolt Sealant

Hi all,

So I have an usual situation with my BD240. I rebuilt it a year or so ago, but the truck is still being restored so I haven't actually driven it yet. I do run it occasionally though. I recently was looking for a small leak in my radiator so I pressure tested the cooling system at 15 PSI and let it sit overnight. A day or two later I noticed coolant on the floor, coming from the back of the engine. I have been trying to find the source of this leak, and have found that it is not coming from the back of the engine, but its running back due to the way the engine sits. It seems to stay wet all around the seam between the head and the block, on both sides of the engine. I cannot find anything leaking, but every time I blow the coolant off of the head to block seam the leak comes back when I put the pressure tester back on. It looks as though the head gasket is leaking coolant externally. Has anyone encountered this before? I have no coolant in the oil, the engine runs fine and doesn't smoke, and all the head bolts held torque.
I was wondering if thread sealant is recommended on the head bolts? It wasn't mentioned in the manual when I assembled the engine, but I think I recall the head bolt bores being open ended. I was wondering if they enter a water jacket of something.
I'm going to keep looking for the leak. Any insight or suggestions is definitely appreciated.

Thanks!

Bryon

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:21 pm

Re: Head Bolt Sealant

IIRC there are a coupla core plugs on the back of the engine that are known to be a problem, not sure if one is on the back of the head or not, I know one is behind the bell.

Return to A, B, C and D Series