Cyl. Head Oil Leak????

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:55 pm

Cyl. Head Oil Leak????

I have an odd situation going on....
I rebuilt our BD240 last year, and have only ran it occasionally in the garage. I am still in the process of restoring the truck (1959 A110). I have been noticing some oil laying on the the top lip of the lifter cover, as well as dripping a bit off of the bottom of the bell housing. I haven't paid much attention to it because its not a huge leak, and I still need to adjust valves a little better and work some bugs out of it... I figured no big deal, and assumed its the valve cover or lifter cover, etc.
I have not ran the engine in a few months, but noticed that oil was still dripping slightly from the bellhousing. I currently have the cab removed, and I realized that the oil isn't coming from inside the bellhousing, but is actually accumulating on top of the bellhousing and running down it, dripping off the bottom. It looks to me as though it is coming out of the cylinder head to block seam, like oil is getting past the head gasket. I find this odd because it accumulated long after the last time I ran the engine, and I am not leaking any antifreeze, etc. The engine runs great with no abnormalities.
To verify I cleaned everything off and dusted the area with flour. After about a week or so I noticed the flour getting wet, and it sure looks like its coming out of the head gasket... (I have attached a few photos).
Has anyone ever seen this before? I had the head and block at the machine shop and everything was straight and true. I used a new Felpro set, have it installed correctly so that the oil passage holes are not restricted, and step torqued the bolts in the proper sequence per the book.
I can't understand why this would happen. Could my bolts be stretched? I'm confused....as usual...
Thanks for any insight!

Bryon
Attachments
CH2.jpg
CH1.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:45 pm

Re: Cyl. Head Oil Leak????

My SD220 has been doing the same thing for the last 95,000 miles. Easier to clean up the drip than to remove the head.

Return to A, B, C and D Series