opinion on a truck

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:24 pm

opinion on a truck

Hey, I'm fairly new, I roamed on the old site, posted occasionally, and gleaned info from all of you guys. Now I've got a dilemma, I have a 1958 international A-110 short bed, stepside. BD240, 4 speed with granny low, put a ton of time and effort into it, but it's pretty rough. I have an opportunity to buy a 1959 international B120 4x4 fleetside, longbed with transplanted 304/4 speed granny low, most of the body work has been done, needs carb work and brake lines, for $3000. I've always wanted a 4x4 IH and have contemplated converting the A-110, but would I be time and money ahead getting the B-120? What would you guys do?
Isaac

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: opinion on a truck

In my opinion, if you want a 4x4, you would be miles ahead buying the different truck. The old truck still has value which, if sold, would make the change even less expensive.
"If this was easy, everyone would be doing it"

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:13 pm

I would buy the '59 4x4 and keep the '58 for parts. Then part out the '58 parts I didn't need.
My Junk --> 1975 IH Model 200HD, 1 ton 4x4 truck, 392, 4 speed, etc.
My cave location --> Western North Carolina

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:56 pm

I guess my biggest concern is the drivetrain, I am not looking to regear it, or off-road it. Can I still get seals/bearings for the front axle, rear axle, transfer case? what kind of axles and transfer case would it be?
Isaac

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:17 am

I have a 1958 A120 4x4. Should be similar.
The rear axle is an IHC RA15. Had no trouble getting bearings, races or inner seals. Still looking for the odd outer seals (They are a rubber ring on a big nut that seals against the inside of the plate on the end of the axle shaft.) Doubt they seal very much. I reused the old ones and will make another search now that I have my parts book.

The Front axle is a Dana 44. No problem with bearings or seals there. I was also able to get some Warn locking hubs to replace the broken OEM ones. These axles are used on a lot of Scouts and J##ps so parts are readily available.

Brakes were easy- got them from from O'Reilly's.

My transfer case is a twin stick- can't recall the manufacturer right off the top of my head- possibly Dana, but they are common to a lot of Scouts and I think J##ps, too. I haven't busted into that yet, so I don't know how easy or difficult finding parts will be. They are a super rugged unit, though, so might not even need any repair.Walcks 4x4 has a lot of drivetrain parts.

I got some of my bearings from a local bearing shop. Got some more from Rockauto for about 1/3 the price. (get a good digital caliper- Harbor Fright has them for about $20- so you can measure the old bearings, because there are a lot of choices there and they list the measurements).

Where you might run into trouble is the steering box. It is most likely a Ross Double cam roller. Mine needed totally rebuilt and finding parts for that was a PIA. Ended up getting a junkyard box and putting together the best used parts out of the 2 plus the ONE NOS roller I was able to cajole out of a Scout guy. Easy to do once I got all my ducks in a row- just hard to find the ducks. Check the steering out thoroughly- I would jack up the front end. There might be some play (probably will be) that can be adjusted out. Beware of massive play, grinding or popping within the box or that you can feel in the wheel. There's a company in Omaha that will rebuild for you, but it don't come cheap.

I can got you part numbers when the time comes. Hope this helps
Gary
"How the heck did that happen?"

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:26 pm

Did the conversion on a 59 B100 shortbed fleetside. Buy the other truck. It is a lot of work and money.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... t=1&ref=nf

Return to A, B, C and D Series