D2 to KB frame swap? Help???

Forum designed for the D series and older

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:59 pm

D2 to KB frame swap? Help???

Hello fellas,

Anyone here familiar with both D2 and KB pickups? Do you think I could put my D2 sheetmetal and cab on the chassis from a KB that I might be able to get? I am hoping that the changes from 1940 D2 to the 1941 KB design used the same, or very similar frame design...most importantly cab and radiator U-support mounts. I only have the front sheetmetal and no bed, so I would be installing a flat bed and the rear mounts would not matter, nor would wheelbase.

Does anyone know if this is possible? Or would anyone be able to send me a frame layout blueprint for the D2 and KB models that I could check for myself? I am having a very hard time finding reference material on the D2. I bought the D2 instruction book thinking it would help, but there are not enough illustrations and mostly just parts numbers and descriptions which does very little for me. I would love to find an exploded diagram of all the cab and engine compartment parts so I can better understand how this all goes back together! Is there one out there?

I bought the cab already unassembled and am trying to find out how the parts go back and in what order. If anyone did a frame off restoration of a D2 and has photos of how to reinstall all the brackets and supports and in what order I would love to see them, or if you could explain it to me I'd take that as well. I am hoping I have all the parts!

Thanks for any help you might share with me.

Jim T

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:39 pm

Re: D2 to KB frame swap? Help???

The specs for the D2 is at http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm ... c/id/35368 - click on the D-2 on the right side and the truck specs will come up.
The specs for the KB is at http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm ... c/id/36871 - click on the K-B on the right side and the truck specs will come up.

The KB has several years to choose from, you can save the files to PDF from this site.

Hope this helps
Last edited by brighad on Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:38 pm

The radiator core support is different... radiators cannot be substituted, the D uses two mounting tabs riveted to the front cross-member to mount the radiator support... the base of the core support mounts to that crossmember and sits on two rubber cushions... the core support position is important because not only does it hold the radiator, it is integral to supporting the front fenders.... the top of the core support is kept in position via two 5/16" rods routed to the cab's firewall from the top/center of the core support.

On the opposite side of the forward crossmember sits two front engine mounting tabs which are riveted in three places onto the crossmember.

The cab mounts are totally different. The cab mounts are "L" shaped brackets, riveted onto the chassis. The forward cab mounts to the floorboard at the footwell, and the rear cab mounts bolt onto "U" brackets which are located in the seat area on the underside of the cab floor...

Four square .25" rubber cushions set between the chassis and the cab.... whereas the "K" model uses .500" round donuts on the front, mounted horizontally, and are way to thick to be substituted (ask me how I know). The rear of the K's cab mounts totally different... I believe it's a center mount arrangement.... but could be/probably am wrong.... best leave it to others to expound on that one....

Wheelbase is the same, that being either 113" or 125" depending on model...

I would have included pic's, but I cannot for the life of me get photo's onto this site... I've given-up trying....

PMH

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:32 am

Don't know if it will be an issue for you, but the motor mounts are different from a D series to a KB series frame.

I got a GRD233 out of a D series and had to change out the front mounting plate. The KB plate runs perpendicular to the crank and bolts direct to a cross-member. The D series plate have two upside down "U" shaped mounts that would match up with something that runs parallel to the crank.

If you are using the engine that came in the KB frame (or a different engine setup) then this shouldn't be an issue.

Have fun!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:22 pm

Great information fellas, I knew someone would come through! PMH, do you know if the front cab mounts for the D and KB are located in the same spot on the frame? Even if they are different, I can mod the KB mount to accomodate the D cab. If they are not in the same spot I would have to cut them off and weld on new mounts, which I don't want to do. If I can locate the cab correctly than I can work my way forward and figure out how to mount the radiator support. The Wisconsin specs do not show any frame mounts that I could find, just a page of text. I can't believe that there isn't a frame diagram somewhere out there..I only have the D-2 instruction book. Is there a better manual I should be getting? I'm looking for an exploded diagram of how the D-2 sheet metal from the cab forward goes back together so I don't install something bass-ackward, and to check if I am missing anything (welting, rubber washers, etc..) Many thanks for the help!

Jim

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:39 am

I measured the front cab mount bracket positions as follows:

Front of frame horn to centerline of front cab mount = 38.625
Centerline of front axle to center of front cab mount = 22.50
Centerline of steering box to center of LH front cab mount = 8.25

The front mounts for the K/KB cab series is totally different....

PMH

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:16 am

Oh drats! Thank you PMH for checking into that for me!!! Looks like it's back to the drawing board...

Return to 1940 and Older