1964 C1100 Questions

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:36 am

1964 C1100 Questions

Hi all. I am new the this board and to International trucks. I am interested in buying a 1964 C1100 pick-up and I have a few questions before I buy try and buy it.

Run down of the truck:

The seller said "1964/67 international c1100, 266 v-8 / 4 speed" Why the "64/67"??

New brakes, lowered, new tires and wheels. 8X,XXX miles. Says no rust. No leaks and runs and drives perfect.

Is there anything specific I should look for on the truck? (rust spots, engine noises...) I know that the truck is all complete but i needs the bench seat re-covered. Is there anywhere to buy replacement seat covers?

How is the 266 motor? Reliable?

What do you think the truck should be worth?

Thanks for help guys! Ill try to attach some pictures.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: 1964 C1100 Questions

"The seller said "1964/67 international c1100, 266 v-8 / 4 speed" Why the "64/67"?? "

He obviously has no clue about IH models and the years they were built.
Here's a short breakdown for models with the same basic body style...
A1xx 1957.5/58
B1xx 1959/60 ('59-'60 for B140 thru 180)
C1xx 1961/62
C1xxx 1963/64
D1xxx 1965
1xxxA 1966
1xxxB 1967
1xxxC 1968

The Chassis number off the door tag or frame can be used for pin pointing the year,although models later than yours each have different grilles, '63/64 were the same.Previous to 1963 the grille and fenders are different amongst some other things.

The 266 was the smallest of the IH built SV8's (Small V8) and except for displacement is virtually identical to the 304. All the SV8's (266,304,345,392) share many components and parts.
These engines were designed and built for trucks by IH. They are very durable with good torque and properly maintained and cared for can last for years even when in a medium duty truck run hard daily. The "weakest" link with these engines IMO is the lifters but,that kinda relates to how one is cared for. I took in many a core with 200K+ miles on them and those were from MD trucks. They weren't built for speed or "performance" although with the right rear end gear ratios they'll get up and go.

The truck looks good in the pic's on the surface anyway,I don't see evidence of rust/rot in the usual places. If it's close enough to take a look in person I certainly would and have a magnet in hand.

Below is a link to a forum members web site,he rebuilt a '64 Travelall and posted a lot of photos that show many of the areas that rust/rot is common. In your case the cab corners and all around the drip moulding are areas to check in addition to the fender & hood areas you'll see in Paul's photos.
http://ih.wargenstahm.se/

For the seats,find a good auto upholstery shop.

I don't speculate on prices,there are to many variables IMO but,it boils down to what one is willing to pay.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:27 am

Thanks for the great info! I talked to the owner of the truck and I am going to check it out with cash in hand this sat morning. He told me the only spot of rust is under the dash but its not that bad. If this is true, does anyone make patch panels or is this something I would have to fabricate myself? Other than that, hes says its "rust free".

The motor, he said runs perfect but 2 of the lifters are ticking. He said I could pull the valve covers and remove the rockers and clean them out to resolve the problem. Is this true? Do these engines use the push rods to oil the rockers? Could the oil holes on the push rods be clogged?

I will get the door tag numbers and post them.

Again thanks for help. I know a ton of car guys and I have own many antique cars but not to many people know about these. Musg appreciated.

Curt

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:08 pm

The valve train is oiled thru the 3rd (from end) rocker shaft post and then the shaft,the push rods are "solid" so it's not clogged PR's.

This link will explain in detail how the valve train gets oil and more.Don't let this scare you but,it's very informative and written by a very knowledgeable person. This is the exact style valve train an original '64 SV8 would have.
http://www.ihpartsamerica.com/forums/ga ... embly.html

The job to do what the above thread covers is relatively easy,might not be "cheap" though but,with an engine that's 50 years old it might be time for it.

Personally,if I could get a truck like that at a price I was comfortable with I wouldn't hesitate buying it. That's if I was looking and it was what I was looking for.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Return to A, B, C and D Series