valve cover

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:33 pm

valve cover

I took off the valve cover of my '59 B110 and it look like on the inside top right under where the cover bolts go through there are rubber gaskets about 1/4 inch thick. where can I find replacements as these are so old they are hard and cracked?
Semper Fidelis

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:48 pm

Re: valve cover

Go to Rock Auto they should have all the gaskets you need for your engine. All the gaskets are listed under the engine category of your make and year of truck.
Replacing all my gaskets tonight on my 56 IH with the BD240 and this where I got all my gaskets, good quality and I had them within two days.

https://www.rockauto.com/
1956 S-102 Short Bed BD240

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:34 pm

Ksever,
Thanks, I'm already ordering from Rock Auto and they have been great. However, what I am talking about are not listed there. These almost seem like valve stem oil seals or some type of thick washer. They are rubber about 1/4 to 3/8s thick and fit underneath the three bolts that hold the valve cover on. I can't seem to find any to replace them with---unless they are a generic oil seals that fits those bolts?
Also, When I put the cover back on do I just pour oil in through the hole for the vevel cover vent cap?
Semper Fidelis

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:26 pm

Here's the part you want...
164420R1 Grommet,cylinder head cover -3 req'd-

Did a search;
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=16 ... et&start=0
1st link (Bates corp) has a pic & parts book illustration with it circled.

Vendors from above that show in stock;
http://www.machinerytrader.com/list/Par ... m=164420R1

You must have a tilt valve engine,there is no grommet listed for the straight valve engine so I checked the BG241 & UB240 and found it that way.

Btw, Better recheck the gaskets you ordered and make sure they're for the right engine version. VC gaskets are positively different.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:32 pm

Scottso,
Thanks!!!! That's what it looks like. On the front right side of my engine it says "BD240 #14090". Wouldn't it say it was one of the other engines if it was a tilt?
Semper Fi,
Eric
Semper Fidelis

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:34 pm

The change over to tilt valve heads was done by engine SN so it wouldn't be indicated any other way that I know of. For those who are familiar, the difference can be done visually by looking at the valve cover, the tilt valve VC is wider and not quite as tall.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:26 pm

Okay I have the grommets, the vent, the gasket. I am going to try and get them on this weekend. My question is, when I open other valve covers it is obvious that when I pour in oil from the filler cap, the oil will surely move down through the engine. On this one though there doesn't seem to be anywhere for the oil to go. Is the valve cover vent the same as an oil filler cap? Or, is there some where else I need to go to fill it with new oil?
SemperFi,
Eric
Semper Fidelis

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:25 pm

First big milestone!!! A few weeks ago I replaced the oil filter, put the valve cover back on, filled her with oil and let her sit. I had trouble getting room to maneuver the pry bar on the fly wheel so I ended up taking out the radiator to make some room. Still she would not budge. Every weekend I would walk by and give a tug on the pry bar to no effect. This past weekend I put a lead pipe extension on the bar for more leverage, put my shoulder into it and she broke free!Now when I walk past I give it a 1/8 turn. Plan on this weekend getting just past top dead center and putting new spark plugs in. I may have to wait a few weeks to get a new battery and then we'll see if I can get her to turnover.
Semper Fidelis

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:50 pm

You should be very careful with applying all of the torque to the big bolt in the front of the crankshaft. The bolt can break and worse pull the threads out of the crankshaft. If the engine is still in the truck and the truck can be rolled around, it is better to put the transmission in high gear and rock the truck forward and back again. Be aggressive as you like, no harm done. Just make sure the ignition is disconnected, for safety. Back in the bad-ol'-daze, our neighbour's Binder took off, in the shop while he was rocking it. If he had been on the other end, he could have been pinned against his work-bench.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:26 pm

Are all of the valves free? If any of the valves are stuck, a pushrod could be bent when the engine is turned. Solution, loosen all the adjustments off. Another way to unstick an engine is with air pressure into the cylinders with an adapter to fit the sparkplug holes. Loosen off all the valve adjustments and move the air from one cylinder to the next.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Return to A, B, C and D Series