Bell Housing Bolt Size?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:15 pm

Re: Bell Housing Bolt Size?

when i need to determine the size of a bolt etc, i use my tap and die set to test fit until i find the one that is correct. it saves multiple trips the nut and bolt store and i can zero in on the exact diameter and thread pitch i need.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:34 pm

In the MT-97 the illustration keys 2 bolts,in the listing 4 of one & 2 of the other are used. It doesn't specify what the bolts are for but it's kinda obvious to me. They have just IH #'s,no sizes but under each pn...washer,lk 7/16.
It's likely 7/16-14 course thread(?) Fine thread is 7/16-20. "Standard" wrench size for 7/16 is 11/16.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:10 pm

I made a fairly complete set of testing bolts for my friend Patricia. I stamped the size and TPI on the tops and included a nut with each bolt.
Our local PACIFIC FASTENERS offers complete plastic size test fixtures.
If you find yourself working on very old machinery, it might be a very good idea to check thread count. Don't assume anything. There was a time before standard sizes were agreed on where OEM fasteners could be anything the manufacturer wanted.
I have a few early 1900's flywheel engines with special bolts. I just finished restoring an early WF and John Barnes 22 inch drill press. There is nothing standard on this unit. I had to make some of the bolts and turn one replacement shaft that was 11/16" with smaller end s for the keyed and pinned gears on each end.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:20 pm

BTW:
For those who don't have a vernier caliper, try using an adjustable CRESCENT WRENCH, MADE IN USA, To measure the outside of a bolt then measure the opening of the wrench while it is still on the bolt body. Many adjustable wrenchs have some slack which may throw off a measurement if removed.
Many tool stores offer acceptable plastic vernier calipers for a few bucks and sometimes free as a promotion.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:23 pm

See that? Even a simple question like I asked generated all sorts information and ideas that didn't think of! :-) Thanks everyone!

I will be mounting that motor tonight. It takes 7/16 inch, course thread bolts.

Pete
Previous

Return to A, B, C and D Series