Rear axle questions

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:37 am

Re: Rear axle questions

Wow, thanks for everyone's input. I live in England so I'm never going to be able to go into a auto shop and buy gaskets or anything over counter. I do have plenty of gasket paper so i could make a new one, although i will go down the line of nikkinutshop and buy some permatex (or similar ). Im assuming you get a better seal with this?

Im now confident that the brake pipes are copper nickel but i will still ask the garage in the week.

Ok, so I'm now like really confused over the numbers on the axle. Im clicking on the links and input the numbers, but it always comes up with nothing. So the only place i have numbers is in the four corners just by the cover plate.
In the top left i have US PAT 1968618
In the bottom left i have 2018188
In the bottom right i have 44-1
In the top right i have 080284

So the 44-1 i would assume that confirms its a Dana 44. The 080284 i would assume means the date, although i have a 1960 B102. As far as I'm aware the axle has not been replaced and the other 2 numbers i have no idea what they mean. If anyone could shed any light on this then i would be grateful. Although i don't need to replace any parts as of yet, it would be a great bit of info. Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:48 am

Itc080506 Wow,
A 1960 B102 I thought I was the only one.

Hey, been looking through your old posts, you have a great looking truck. How is the project going? Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:02 am

Just had a thought, all the numbers i listed were actually cast into the housing. Thinking about it now the BOM would have to be stamped onto the axle. Having said i just took a wire brush to it and still can't find the numbers. :t0174:

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:07 am

Your local Jaguar dealer should have a diff cover gasket for the Dana 44.

The XKE used a Dana 44 center section rear end.

The Dana BOM and date code are stamped in the axle tube. Clean the tubes off to find them.
The numbers you posted from the center section are NOT the BOM or date code.
My Junk --> 1975 IH Model 200HD, 1 ton 4x4 truck, 392, 4 speed, etc.
My cave location --> Western North Carolina

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:02 pm

And, your local Ford, Dodge, Jeep GM/Chevy dealer and NAPA should have the gasket. I have to think Jaguar will be expensive because of the dealer factor and what with being an exotic car and imported. It is entirely possible that the Local Jag parts person would call NAPA have the gasket delivered for a cost of $4 then add the fools tax and resell the gasket for $44. The Dana 44 is a popular differential with the off-road crowd, so it is possible your local off-road specialty shop will have a gasket in stock, because they use an RTV from Loctite.
Our R120 never leaked in 225,000 miles, no gasket and only Loctite RTV sealant.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:26 pm

No NAPA in England, but I'm going to check out Loctite RTV sealant. Thanks again for all the info. I did not realise Dana was so widely used.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:05 pm

England, you say. I remember now.
We have William and Kate visiting here., in British Columbia. They are bigger than rock stars. Our family is enjoying their visit to the West Coast of Canada.
I don't suppose they will be dropping in for a visit with me, so I am going in for supper now.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:07 am

Pulled the cover off today and clean it all up, painted and RTV sealant etc. the worrying thing is i found a piece of rubber tube in there????
Attachments
IMG_0633.JPG
IMG_0632.JPG
IMG_0630.JPG
IMG_0629.JPG
IMG_0628.JPG
IMG_0626.JPG

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:27 am

it does look like a chunk of tubing and not part of a seal

I am guessing at one time someone was using it while filling oil through the plug hole to connect a small funnel at 90 degrees and accidentally dropped it in there, so probably nothing to get worried about. it's soft, and has probably been sitting at the bottom for years.

Also on the second picture, it's hard to tell from the small image but what are the vertical white lines on sides of three of the teeth on the left side of the picture? hopefully just reflections of camera flash or oil drips. As long as you have it open and clean, check for any chips, pits, or excessive wear on the gears

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:29 pm

Never thought of the rubber tubing being used as a funnel. Very observant on the second picture, but it is definitely photo flash.
PreviousNext

Return to A, B, C and D Series