68 truck questions

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:54 pm

68 truck questions

I recently received a 1968 1100C truck from my grandpa and hope to get it running, however I’m not the greatest mechanic and lack knowledge internationals. Hopefully someone here can answer my questions. The truck ran when parked in 1989 and has sat since then. I can grab the fan and turn the motor over. My main issues currently are that I need a new fuel tank and can’t seem to find one, if anyone knows where I can get one that would be awesome. The biggest issue is that no one can seem to find the key, any ideas on how I can resolve this would be good. I’ve had the idea of just hot wiring it but all of the electrical seems to be switched on through the ignition.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:06 pm

Re: 68 truck questions

Someone will probably have better advice, but if you can pull the switch for the key, a lock smith should be able to make keys. Best I can do for you.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:37 pm

Suggest you go to the local auto parts and buy a new ignition switch, keys and all. Memory tells me there are 4 wires connected on the back side of the switch, easy 5 minute fix. Fuel tank, sub a 5 gallon gas can, run new hose line from fuel pump to get the truck functional. Don't forget to replace cartridge fuel filter or add an inline filter. Good luck.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:08 pm

If the truck hasn't been messed with, take the door panel off and remove the door lock cyl and take to the locksmith. the key should be the same for the door and ign.
You can pull the cyl out of the ign switch but that is more complicated. At some point they made ign switches not removable from the dash until you remove the lock cyl, which requires the key to turn the cyl to the right position or you need to "pick the lock" to turn the cyl. door cyl is much easier.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:55 pm

Take the gas tank to a local radiator shop. They can clean it, patch rust holes, etc.

Fair chance it's salvageable.

Return to 1000 Series