Mid 60's 1200, what should I know?

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:56 am

Mid 60's 1200, what should I know?

Hi everyone, I'm looking at a mid 60's 1200 with a 304, what should I know before diving in? Its missing the carb but otherwise complete, 4 spd with posi rear end, my goal is to have a truck I can safely use now and then, not full resto. I'd like to be able to drive on the highway now and then so will I want a different rear end and what are the options (don't know the ratio), how are the drum brakes and am I going to want discs up front and what are those options? It has that combined master/slave cylinder, what are the recs there? I love the binders but know they present some challenges with parts availability/swaps, etc., and i like to have upgrade options even if I never get to them - Many thanks!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:07 pm

Re: Mid 60's 1200, what should I know?

...and were all of these trucks painted tan on the interior from the factory?

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:14 pm

Couple of questions, what is the bolt spacing on the wheels? If 6 on 7 1/4 virtually impossible to find drums. Does the motor turn over by hand? Carburetor is gone, that means, at the least that some moisture has gotten into one or two cylinders, even if covered. Body panels are not really reproduced, and if they are, limited. Best I can do right now. Others will maybe have more of different comments.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:40 pm

1. no carb, therefore the truck does not run.
2. engine does not run, therefore the vehicle does not drive.
3. no photos were provided, so info provided is from experience with other trucks of this type and age.
So essentially this is a "parts truck" and should be looked at and priced as a "parts truck", NOT as a driver.

The brake drums are impossible to find, as noted. Disc brakes were not an option.
The master cylinder is a combined dual master cylinder assy. for the brakes & clutch. Slave cylinders are separate items.
Brakes can be upgraded, but an axle upgrade would probably be a better option.
Hydro-boost brakes can be installed from a junkyard Chevy Astro van to provide easy power brakes.
Rear end ratio would probably be 4.56 as this is a 3/4 ton truck.
Wheel lugs will be the old 6 x 7.25 pattern which is no longer supported with wheels options.
Wheels are probably 'lock ring' style, which many shops will not touch.
Tires are probably 16.5" diameter which also do not have much support anymore.

Trucks this age that do not run and drive will probably need a full overhaul of the following:
fuel system, brake system, cooling system, electrical/charging/starting system.

Body parts would only be available used from other trucks or IH junkyards/parts trucks.

As to the engine - transmission - rear end....these are all unknowns and may need overhaul/repair/replacement,...WHO KNOWS?

As I noted earlier, this is currently 50+ year old a "parts truck".

As to interior color: No, not all were tan interior, many were gray.
My Junk --> 1975 IH Model 200HD, 1 ton 4x4 truck, 392, 4 speed, etc.
My cave location --> Western North Carolina

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:42 pm

This is exactly what I'm looking for. Engine turns over, rear is an R-11 so pretty sure they're 6 x 7.25 pattern. I've got some experience with stuff this old so understand the general issues, but I know there are some different challenges with these trucks, want to be sure I understand ahead of time. Thanks very much for the info.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:57 pm

One particular area needs to be checked for rust, the cowl. Many are rusted through at the right and left sides, look up under the dash. Also look for sagging of the doors and soundness of the door hinge mounting area. At some point later in the '60s IH went to separate brake and clutch master cylinders. If you can find one of those trucks, the parts will transfer.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:23 pm

Yes, its pretty clean but one side of the cowl has small spot that's rusted through and some burbling around it - thanks

Return to 1000 Series