1972 1110 4X4

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:28 pm

Re: 1972 1110 4X4

I have a 2 spd powerdivider from a KBF-7 (Before you say they didn't make one, I have the ID tag that has it on it). The GMC duce and half from the 50's did use the remote powerdivider also. When I was in highschool a neighbor had one to plow with.
The Full tandem K's had offset diffs with a carrier bearing for the rear diff on the front houseing. You can't just go buy another diff and make it work, you need the offset houseing as well.
Any spring ride suspension can be rough un loaded but I put many miles in on both 4 spring and Hendricksons Walking beam. If you load them correctly, they ride fairly good. My little cabover with 4 spring, when loaded rivels air ride.
My Fleetstar with its short wheelbase and walking beam, will launch you fairly good if you hit a frost heave in the road, but put 20K lbs over the top of it and it rides very well. Most of the dampening in a walking beam is done by transfering the load between the two axles. Long waveleinth swells in the road are handled by the spring pack.
The trick with any spring ride is to place as much of the weight as is possable and legal right over the suspension, with a flatbed, this often means "split loading", with half the weight over the king pin and the other half over the trailer suspension. I load my air rides this way, unless the load will take up the full trailer, makes it ride so much better.
PM me if your intrested in the remote powerdivider, I am not that far from you, over on the west side of Iowa. It is both a powerdivider with a 2 speed attached.
BTW powerdividers don't power only one axle then lock in the other, They supply power to BOTH axles ALL the time, but with another diferential between them, so they can turn at different speeds. They then have a lock-out for the interaxle differential, so you need to spin on wheel on each axle to not move. Without being locked in, only one wheel on the whole tandem set has to loose traction to keep you from moveing.
a whole lot of people who should know better don't understand this. I don't know how many so called mechanics or techs think only one axle is powered until the PDL is locked, but I've run into a whole bunch.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:44 am

The reality of it all is the frame of an 1110 likely wouldn't be up to the task anyway.

I drove a 9670 with IH 4 spring,rode surprisingly nice and better than the Freightshaker CO's with air ride the fleet had.

I wonder how those wrench holders think those U joints wear out on that shaft between the rears,divine intervention? :lol:
If they only turned when the thing was locked,they'd last "forever".
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:16 am

Scottso wrote:The reality of it all is the frame of an 1110 likely wouldn't be up to the task anyway.

I drove a 9670 with IH 4 spring,rode surprisingly nice and better than the Freightshaker CO's with air ride the fleet had.

I wonder how those wrench holders think those U joints wear out on that shaft between the rears,divine intervention? :lol:
If they only turned when the thing was locked,they'd last "forever".

I know a bunch think only the rear-rear is powered, and the front is only powered when the PDL is in.
These are the same people who think you need to mix antifreeze to take care of "wind chill"!
My only complaint with 4 spring is it lacks enough articulation, you can get hung up on a high crowned road if you don't use the PDL when pulling into a driveway. Other then that, it is a good light, on hiway suspension that doesn't need much in the way of service. It is far better then Kenworths 8 bag air ride on hiway.The old IHC Corp air ride was one of the best (designed by Hendrickson, and sold to many OEM's). The new IHC air ride looks like the old Freightliner "airliner" suspension. Nothing beats walking beam for off road, and it still does ok on road if loaded. I would not hesiatate to use it on a long wheelbase on road tractor. Even on the (short wheelbase) Fleetstar, with the "suspended cab" and T bar seat it was bearable. I would drive one between Chicago and St louis, loaded down, empty back, and I-55 is not a good road!
I have a Hendrickson walking beam cutoff ready to go onto my Marmon when I give up on the stupid Neway Air-beam suspension. That has to be one of the worst ideas to come out of Neway. Their ARD suspension was the main stay of heavy haul air rides, I don't know what they were thinking with the air beam, too weak, too many bushings and weaaring parts.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:06 am

That's why I wanted to use a transfer case,(neutral),for the rear-most axle,along with a modified Front Dana 70 axle,with lock-outs. I wouldn't need power to all 8 wheels full-time,on the highway,and fuel economy would suffer.Sorry,I just wasn't aware that 2-speed power dividers were available in the '40's,and early '50's. My BAD. Any spring suspension system will ride like a lumber wagon without a load,but,I was planing on installing heavy-duty shocks,to soften the ride. I am aware that I'd need to add a cross member between the axles,and install torque tubes. That's a given,since the diff's would tend to roll forward,(or backwards),causing EXCESSIVE stress to the u-joints,and driveline. Another interesting thing about that old G.M.C.450 tandem,is that it has juice brakes,like the Army Studebaker US6,and the G.M.C CCKW 2-1/2-tons. Sorry Cornbinder89,I'm Not interested in the power divider,since I'm not investing a @#*%-load of money for a tandem set-up,and I wouldn't want full-time 8 wheel traction. Now if I won the lottery...
Last edited by BillHickey on Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:12 am

Are you intrested in my remote powerdivider? It has the PDL and has a 2 spd box attached.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:30 am

BTW Ryden and now Hendrickson make air ride "kits" for the walking beam, they replace the spring pack with air bags.
The cut-off I have was designed for on hiway use, it has transverse torque rods and rubber bushings. The off hiway don't use transverse rods and use bronze bushings.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:53 am

The whole idea of a powerdivider is it releaves the torque bind that a streight thru drive causes. You will no inprovement in fuel mileage with a rear dis-connected but still turning (via the wheels). A single drive with a tag or pusher does see a slight inprovement because the dead axle only has to turn the wheel bearings, and not the whole diff, ring and pinion and driveshaft that a disconnected axle does.
A front axle with locking hubs would help, but then it wouldn't be as strong nor as light and alignment issues with holding the axle streight and also reverseing the rotation of the ring gear with the pinion faceing forward are issues. In the front position, the pinion faces back and drives forward, in a rear postion the pinion faces forward.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:57 am

BTW shocks don't "soften the ride" they prevent wheel hop and up and down bounceing. They only dampen the spring action and don't effect the spring rate to any degree.
If you want to soften the ride you need to change the spring rate.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:09 pm

BillHickey wrote:. Another interesting thing about that old G.M.C.450 tandem,is that it has juice brakes,like the Army Studebaker US6,and the G.M.C CCKW 2-1/2-tons. .

I have seen, and another member has, a tandem drive Loadstar with juice brakes..... 10K steer and 38K tandem with a single line hydrovac brakeing system. Granted, with a 392 the top speed loaded wouldn't exceed 35 mph, but I wouldn't want to have to stop it with the E brake!
If trailers aren't going to be towed, juice brakes are simple and compact. Some of the biggest rears 80,000 lb rears, use air over hyd because they can fit smaller hyd wheel cyl then air diapharms.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:32 pm

Today,I removed the left front hub,to inspect the brake shoes,and replace the wheel cylinder. Wheel cylinder is correct,but the brake shoes are not even close! The original springs,(left,right upper),need to stretch about an inch past their working point,in order to anchor to the new shoes. The original shoes ad a bracket for the adjuster in the back brake shoe,anchored with a self-tapping screw. There's a predrilled hole in the same location,but it's over-sized. My question is...Does anyone have a source for having linings riveted to original hardware?? THANKS!!
PreviousNext

Return to 1000 Series