1972 1110 4X4

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:01 pm

1972 1110 4X4

I bought a '72 1110 4X4 from a C.L. ad,a couple of months ago. I replaced the flex line on the R.F. wheel,as well as the steel brake line from the flex line to the proportioning valve,located on the frame rail,(driver's side). There are no bleeder valves on the front wheel cylinders,(drum brakes). I "cracked" the flex lines,and couldn't get any air or fluid to flow from them. Now I'm thinking i may need to replace the proportioning valve. There's a small bolt,(smaller than 3/8,between the mounting bolts on the (front) wheel cylinder mounts. Do you "crack" those open,to bleed the brakes? i know my '67 1000 had bleeders. i never saw a set-up like this before. THANKS!!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:58 pm

Re: 1972 1110 4X4

That could be a hole a bleeder will work with(?). I checked and OEM a bleeder is listed. Took a little finagling with the web but I'm pretty sure I found the right one.
867524R1 IH
C0DZ-2208A Ford
6446 Dorman
H13204 Wagner
S6446 Raybestos
1/4-28 thrd 1/4 hex

I have the WC pn's too if needed. That took a little doing too,Dorman was the only one where the IH pn's would cross,but they got the L & R mixed up,then I find so do all the others. :roll:

Do you have the LST Bill?
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:48 pm

Thanks,Scottso!! GREAT INFO!! No,Previous owner at some point tried to remove the dash,for some unknown reason,and it's all just flopping in the breeze,including the glove box door,complete with fuse panel! Everything this guy did was half-arsed,except shortening the frame! Now I need to lengthen it ,maybe up to 3 feet,because I'm THINKING about adding TWO 1-Ton dually Dodge axles,with walking-beam suspension,and another transfer case,to power the rear-most axle when needed. It'll be like a "Mini Deuce and a Half,except with a '48 KB5 Cab,and Front Clip!"! My friend's got two old motor homes that are just sitting there,with decent wheels, brakes, and tires! I LOVE This video,just wish it were Front-Wheel Drive,as well!...https://youtu.be/YbriRtQ1MDg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:26 am

That clown is gonna break something doing that sh&t,if he's lucky just a UJ or stub. I've seen many inter axle drive shafts twisted all to hell from things like that happening,not on purpose though.

This aught to inspire you!
http://olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_wc62.php

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:30 pm

Scottso,Many THANKS!! i never even heard of a 6X6 1-1/2 ton! I like the looks of the duals,that's why I'm thinking about those Dodge campers. I'm not planning on going through all that work,just to prove I can do "burn-outs",either! I like the concept of both tandems powered,but would only engage when necessary. Here's a pic,of the transfer case set-up,of an early '50's G.M.C., like I plan on adapting "mine"...http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh29 ... 6e5f.jpg... Cool to have a pattern to go by! B.T.W... I have another '75 1100 4X4 front axle,I might modify for the 3rd member offset. I have a WAYS to go before I get that far into the game. If I could find a roll-back cheap enough,it would make a GREAT "Go out in the weeds and bring 'em back" kind of "Hauler",and could handle a 2-ton (cab and chassis), on it's back!
Last edited by BillHickey on Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:04 pm

I believe that is a power divider and not a transfer case(?). Doesn't seem to go with the vintage of the General it's in though,looks like it's a much earlier one to me.

Did you look thru that guys pic's? I went backwards and there's some pic's of a '46 KB school bus "on the hook". He apparently likes old GMC's by the look of things,has quite a few. To each his own I guess.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:41 pm

I'm not going to say very much , because I'm a Negative Nancy. This project needs a lot more research and planning. Saying something is the easy part. The logistics and components will cost tens of thousands. I have done the due diligence on dual rear axle and 6X6 for an upcoming project.
Drive shaft stress is a very big consideration and is brought into play different travel distances of the axles and enough traction.
We dropped the idea because of the additional $20,000±.
There may be regulations, in your area, for frame modifications.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:37 pm

THANKS,Nick! Negativity,No,A Different look at things-Yes! That 2-1/2 ton DID have a vac-operated power divider,but I WAS thinking of using a lever-operated transfer case,with lock-out rear axle,only when operating off-road. Way too much money to invest,for such little use! I APPRECIATE the input! Thanks for getting my head out of the clouds! Onward,with a more practical build...

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:55 pm

I have some fantastic pictures of converted militarily axles for domestic use. I will post them to this thread, as soon as I find them. When I saw these pictures, my thinker turned up the fantastic. I was thinking, "R" Orrville crewcab, 8 foot box and 6X6 with Cummins isb power. Just extend the rear fenders for tandom axles. All of this world because held together with a custom frame and suddenly $50,000 real money was the total. So, back to reality, Dana 60s and something much simpler and affordable that we have all of the pieces for.
Great idea though.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:42 pm

I wasn't going to say anything negative about the idea,that's someone elses forte'. :whistling2:

Not saying i didn't think that way though. In addition to Brian's experience in the matter there are a few other things not mentioned/considered(?). All Tandems have torque rods,from the top of the axle housings to a cross member. How would that be addressed?
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=fu ... orque+rods

Fabricating walking beams is problematic and wouldn't be simple. Walking beam suspension is also very rough riding,believe me I know.

Another option that might be somewhat easier to fab. is something along the lines of Mack's camelback suspension.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mack+ca ... kgodgzYANA
IMO it's rougher riding than WBS, just ask my back.

In the long run,air bags would be easiest in every way suspension wise.

But like Brain said,it's an expensive proposition.

Now if you had an engine mounted PTO there's always hydraulic drive...
:lol:
Next

Return to 1000 Series