fuel guage help

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:23 pm

fuel guage help

I have a 73 1110 and the fuel guage does not work does anyone know where i could find a diagram for th back of the guage there are 6 probes stickn out of the back an in the plug only 4 wires are hooked up... i have a loose wire behind the guage that if i pt hot to it the hot side below th seat to the sending unit lights up...? also one probe on th back of th guage is hot... Any help wud be appreciated!!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:30 pm

Re: fuel guage help

This belongs in the "1000" section. Do not repost,it can be moved.

In the meantime here's a link where you can find wiring diagrams from IH service manuals. Your truck falls under the 1010 to 1310/1010 to 1510. You should be able to find the right one? Also,take note IH wiring is numerically coded and is printed on the insulation.
https://app.box.com/shared/otkihx6yoa/1/27332356
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:35 pm

Ok maybe sum more light on the problem the loose wire i referd to was disconnected from they other wires looks like a mouse chewed it i reconnected tht one and now wen i turn th key on and touch th threaded prong on th back of the guage it moves alittl above empty wich is proly wer the fuel level is if i move my ground to the other side it pulls it back down... also im usin a test light to ground it and it lights up right wen i turn the key on then it switches to a pulse i ges this is normal?? pleez help i perty clueless and it pry perty simpl... feel free to ask questions ill try to answer em...thanx...

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:10 am

Your gauge now appears to be working correctly. Did you clean your fuel tank out? If it has bad gas, that will create it's own set of problems. Either splice the wire or replace. Keep in mind, a splice is now a weak spot in the wire. My opinion.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:59 am

ok bt ther are no wires hooked to the threaded prongs on the back of the guage do i need the run a ground to both or jus the one tht makes it move... thanx again

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:50 am

I will have to leave that one up to someone with better knowledge. If I am not mistaken, that wire comes from the sender, the "ground" is through the frame. But it is only my thoughts, If no one speaks up today, you might send a PM to CornBinder89, he is pretty good on electrical I think.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:37 pm

Ok guage is now workin thanx fer all the help!!

Return to 1000 Series