Gears Jamming

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:47 am

Gears Jamming

Hey guys I have a 1967 with a 266 in it and a 3 speed on the tree. My latest problem is the gears constantly jam. The other day it was stuck in reverse until I popped the hood and manually pulled the linkage bar to the tranny and unjammed it. This issue just started in the last couple months Now after I un jam it the lever on the column is free but grinds every time I try to put it in gear.

I just replaced the clutch last year so its should be good. So at that I shut the truck off and place in gear and it sticks again. So I am thinking either issue inside the tranny itself or in the linkage on the column. The levers and rods do not appear to be in a bind or anything.????

Any help/experience would be appreciated.

Rob
Attachments
562314_10200299648208287_791917045_n.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:33 pm

Re: Gears Jamming

The 1st thing to look at are the rubber bushings at the column end and the trans end. Other have had the same issue and the bushings were the cause. It happens in all column shifters,The dealer I worked for had a '66 Suburban that would do it all the time. Usually at a traffic light :oops: pop the hood,pull and push the levers,get it in neutral and good to go again.
Bad news is,I looked them up and the upper ones are NLA,the lower (at trans) appear to be but are very pricey.
You might find some that can be made to work though,the upper use 3/8 flat washers so it's pretty safe to say that's the ID of the bushings,OD ???

Google gets tons of hits;
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=co ... r+bushings

Here's the $$$ lower;
https://travelallparts.com/Bushing_for_ ... d_S/p17704
Looks like they may have a steel sleeve in the ID?

You could peruse here too;
http://www.mcmaster.com/#
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:50 am

^^^^^yup^^^^^^^^^^^^^ that's what's happening, I bought a 65 with "blown transmission" for $75.

paid him, opened the hood jiggled the linkage & drove home in 2nd & 3rd only, till I could service it,

I think I went to a higher end hardware store and found some bushing/washer type parts that were close, good luck.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:23 am

Hey thanks guys. The bushings all look sloppy in there. My mechanic however said that the slave cylinder had went out?? We are gonna replace that and go from there. I will start looking around to replace those bushings.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:00 pm

A slave cyl. actuates the clutch,don't see why it having an issue would cause the trans to get stuck in a gear.
Have you ever tried shifting the gears with the engine off? Try and see if it gets stuck.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:47 pm

I think once I cleared the gears and got it in neutral, it would shift gear to gear. Once I started it though, and tried to shift..it would just grind.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:14 am

Update, The slave cylinder fixed the issue...wow what a difference in clutch pedal. Thanks for the input.

Return to 1000 Series