1310 build up

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:18 am

1310 build up

Greetings fellow binder enthusiasts!!

a couple or 4 years ago you may have encountered a user by the name of "young enthusiest" on the old site. That would be me!
You may also then remember a 71 1310 that I was working on. I dont remember the year that the crash/loss of data on the old site occured, so Im going to start the thread back from square one. I hope you enjoy pictures!!

Also, there is a Manfred Range on here, hello sir!

Day 1, August 8, 2011
Truck was purchased for $400 from the same neighbor who sold me my first Cub Cadet garden tractor.

Truck was towed home and sat for a few days

I put plug wires, carb kit, and a battery in/on it, drained and refilled the fuel tank, and drove it for nearly a thousand miles before the snow flew.

the old flatdeck was removed and the cab was gutted.

I fixed the floors, did some sound dampening, and started tearing into the engine

I repainted the air cleaner, vale covers and intake manifold. I did not remove the engine to do that, I just repainted things as I resealed.

Because time is limited (college with a job) I shall only post a little at a time. but here is a teaser.

Truck is now fuel injected, standard trans, lower gears, nice deck, all new electrical, and a few other things. oh, and it looks amazing in its factory paint still

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:12 am

Re: 1310 build up

I remember you,good to see you back! As a matter of fact I was recently wondering "whatever happened to" (can't recall your name though) when I was going thru my Gmail contacts. I think I still have a copy of the LST too.
Haven't seen Manny on in ages,maybe he got stuck in that tree with the mirror in it? :lol:
Last edited by Scottso on Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:22 pm

great pics and good story!!
John NADZam
75 200 pickup

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:28 pm

HE POSTED: I remember you,dood to see you back
Could that be I remember you, Dude. or I remember you, good to ............. Just asking. LOL
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:00 pm

One of the few times I forget to check my speeling and I get caught! :whistling2:

Btw,I never use the term "dude" and hate! being called by it.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:57 pm

Welcome back! I remember following your original build thread.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:50 am

I have returned!
Well, jumping in the middle of things, before I painted the engine, I had a few mechanical things i needed to do to it. Front seal was toast as were all the frost plugs around the front. The valvecover and valley pan gaskets were leaking as they always do, as was the oil pan. so I fixed all of those things, and repainted as it went back together

Image7

At this point I started designing the flatdeck. My favorite teacher at school got me hooked on Google Sketchup. I was only 16 at this point, and had only been using it for a month or so, but here is my basic frame that I started playing with designing decks.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:56 am

More painting and new parts!

I didnt know better... I didnt mask anything when I painted the manifold...
[URL=http://s689.p

hotobucket.com/user/tchiliak/media/IH%201310/IMG_1724.jpg.html]Image[/URL]

christmas day! New parts picking time!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:09 am

Only a few more pictures to go in this stage, then we can move on. I apologize for the crappy pictures, I was rocking my Iphone 3Gs at the time, and with a slightly dirty lense it took terrible out of focus pictures. You will see a vast change in picture quality soon.

These two parts drastically changed the direction the project was headed. before they came out, I was nearly done with the engine, I was ready to button the interior back up, and start on the deck. But when I removed these parts... antifreeze came out. 16 year old me did not know about the frost plugs on the back of the engine... until I removed that cover. I shall show you the plugs shortly... Yucky

I had never pulled an 8 before, so me dad helped me with logistics and manpower

My dad was incredibly supportive of the whole project, and went as far as to buy parts and tools to encourage me. I spent many hours hiding in the garage, staying out of high school trouble, and learning mechanics. I am incredibly gratefulof the opportunity he gave me to learn and stay out of trouble.

The ugly frost plugs...

While the engine was out I thought I would do some other things, like maybe a valvejob or so...
At this point I decided to completely rebuild the whole thing... so it sat on the floor for a few months till the machine shop could take it. In the meantime though, I spent more money!

Can you stay STOP?

I managed to find all 4 wheel cylinders as well, boy that was fun.
Cylinders, lines, shoes, return hardware, master, drums turned, brakes were about $700 or so I figure. not a bad investment at all!

Next up was rear gearing, Stock gears were 4.30, resulting in 3050RPM at 63MPH. That didnt fly very well with me, I wanted streetable fuel economy. so I hunted and found this. any guesses?

If you guessed Dana 60 with 3.73 and 2.5" drums you guessed right! Only 65000 miles. FREE!!!

With my math, on 31" tires (stockish size) would be about 2450 RPM at highway speed, not bad. on 34" tires that drops to 2250. right in the middle of the power band of a 71 345. oh goody!

Off to class, more later! Comments and questions welcome!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:47 pm

Keep 'em coming! I'm not a fan of the later Binder pickups but I always like seeing something old come back to life.
'52 L-160 dump truck
'57 RD-405
'58 Allis Chalmers D grader
Next

Return to 1000 Series