1971 1210 pickup

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:35 pm

1971 1210 pickup

Hello all, I've become involved in the maintenance of my sisters farm truck, the afore mentioned mentioned 1210. I don't have all the details on the motor yet but at this time I'm looking for access to service manuals. Wondered if there were any online info available or perhaps a reference section on this site. There are many issues that need to be addressed from wiring to steering boxes and on and on. The old gal hasn't gotten muchlove lately. Is there a particular forum I should post in for this truck? I've learned from my experience on Matthew's Volvo site that you learn who the gurus are for your vintage and model but I could use a guiding hand to get started here and I thank you all in advance for any help... Best to everyone with your projects, Peter

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:01 pm

Re: 1971 1210 pickup

Welcome Peter,

The section for this truck is the "1000 series".

The site doesn't have any manuals but,a member has one with a number of IH manuals. No service manual for your truck but there are engine manuals that could be useful. He does have the parts manuals though,there are 2 your truck could be in,they depend on the chassis number. The Chassis # (aka VIN) is needed for many things,the part of the 13+ digit VIN's needed is from the letter(s) in the middle plus the following digits.
There is at least one member who may have a service manual,so mention it again after posting in the 1000 section.

Do you happen to have a "Line Setting Ticket" ?
They look like this...
It's a "build sheet" listing all the components and options a truck was built with from the plant,nothing dealer or aftermarket installed.

I always strongly recommend to newbies they should obtain a of the copy of the LST if they don't have one,an easy thing to do and well worth 20 bucks.

Here's a thread with a lot of info on LST's;
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3240
I posted a few links as well that I recommend reading. Overall it will help you understand the IH system and why I may ask certain questions.

In the mean time,the engine can be ID's easily without an LST though,is it a 6cyl or V8? I can tell you where to look once I know which type it is.

I'm not a truck owner,what I do here is use my dealer parts experience and assist people looking for parts. I've compiled a number of files with a range of info,part numbers (cross referenced) mostly covering tune-up's,filters,brake parts and SV8 engine parts to name a few.

So,have a question,just ask. See you in the 1000 series section.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:41 pm

Thank you Scottso for the response and the recommended reading,which we will read, and I will check for the LST. We'll get the VIN, motor is a V8, don't know yet which,but will get that info. Once we've done the homework you've assigned and collected the necessary info and documents, we'll be back and post on the 1000 forum. I'll get my sister going on this, it's her dang truck (really cool truck with cool story. More later) . Thanks again, Peter

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:00 pm

A follow up to my FIRST post where I suggested that the TRUCK hadn't gotten much love lately...that is totally untrue. My sister just put a new alternator and belt on it and does shower it with adoring compliments every time she plows her driveway. I have obviously spoken without putting my brain in gear! And I believe I could be in trouble.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:16 am

One source for a LST is the vendor who's ads are scrolling in the upper left of this forum. IH Parts America. Located in Cal., they are one of several places that could provide the LST. If they think enough of us to advertise, we should at least try to give them some business.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:52 pm

I wouldn't exactly call it "homework", just good info to know with IH trucks. They weren't your run of the mill Chevy or Ford,they were,well "different" in many ways. We had a saying,there's the right way,the wrong way and the IH way. lol
If you don't have a paper (8 x 11) copy of the LST already there's the off chance the copy taped in it when built is still there if nobody found it and removed it. Open the glove box (empty),on each side is a clip,push them in and flip the door completely open and on the back of the box is where they were located on this model.
It will look similar to this;
<click to enlarge>

They were taped on to the cardboard so if there, removing it after 40+ years could tear it,personally I'd leave and get a copy. The copies are larger and easier to read anyway.

Here's a pic of where to look on SV8's for engine ID.

It will be stamped with engine size (304,345 or 392) plus the engine SN.

If you want/need to order an LST I feel the WHS is the best source and is where they all come from anyway. I know of people who ordered it over the phone and had it in less than a week,either e mailed or faxed,I don't recall which.Other sources can take much longer.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:11 pm

Thanx for more great info Scottso. I have to ask, will I find the VIN on the dash or am I going to have to search for it? I'm sure there's no title or registration around. This thing was parked behind the barn when they bought the place, basically used to plow the place in winter and maybe haul a little firewood occasionally. Will post a pic or two when we do our introduction. And thanks Wew for your input. Everyone's offers of help greatly appreciated! Best, Peter

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:14 am

Pfmet
You have received some good basic advice here on the forum. You may also want to check out http://www.binderplanet.com There seems to be a larger population of later model restorers there. It is heavy into the IH Scouts, but lots of info for the 69-75 D series trucks. I check out both forums daily.
Terryl51
Retired
1951 L-112 International Long Bed. Stock as I could make it!! 1974 200 3/4 ton bonus load to pull it with!!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:07 pm

There should be an ID plate on the DS door end where the latch is.
It will look something like this,

If the plate is missing the Chassis # is stamped on the DS frame rail in the front usually near the steering box but never further back than the rear spring hanger. May be hard to read,they weren't always stamped very deep and get filled with paint or crud.
It will look similar to this,

The pic shows they weren't always deep,they were done by hand.
<Click on pic's to enlarge>

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:30 am

Good morning all, It's been awhile but I've returned with new issues a perhaps not enough info but I give this a shot. The alternator has stopped putting out. I was trouble shooting the plow pump when I checked battery voltage I found the alt wasn't charging. 12.3v or so at B+ when running. This is a new ( reman) Delco Remy DN (with F and R terminals) external reg of course, my sister swapped out last winter. And it was working as it should. I was quite proud of her. But in this autumns checkout something has gone amiss. I looked around and found a red lead which she had crimped a new end on had come apart. Aha I said and showed her how to properly crimp a connector and put it back on the GRD terminal which is where it was in the photo she took of the old alternator before she took anything apart. We started the truck and still no charge. I took note that there was no lead to the R terminal on the 2wire plug at the top of the alt. And other than than battery voltege of 12.3 I read at the B+ terminal there was no voltage at F and without a lead from R to post 2 on the regulator I don't see where the "exciter" voltage comes from to get things going this isn't a 1 wire settup yet there doesn't appear to be mother loose wire about and ther certainly is not one in the harness containing the F, Bat, and the red lead that was cooncted to the GRD terminal. When I look at the Delco wiring diagrams they all show a lead from R to post 2on the voltage regulator. I'm fumbling here trying to get my head around this. Will go back and look for another loose lead, recheck connections, tighten belt some ore, but at this point I think I'm stumped. I'd love to hear from you guys. I hope all's well with everyone and your projects progress as you wish they would! Best and thank you as always. Peter
Next

Return to 1000 Series