sloppy shifter

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:36 am

sloppy shifter

I purchased 1200 all wheel and the shifter is very sloppy, any idea what the problem is ? The truck has 68,000 miles on it, it was a fire truck. Does anyone have an idea of value of this truck?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:04 am

Re: sloppy shifter

I've found the usual cause of a sloppy shifter is the index pin that keeps it from rotating is worn. There will most likely be a cap around the top of the transmission that holds the shift lever in. It may be threaded or it may have a couple slots where you push down on it and twist CCW about 20 degrees, then it comes off. Be sure to put the transmission in neutral prior to removing the retainer cap. Carefully lift up on the shift lever to remove it and watch that the index pin doesn't drop into the transmission. Most times the pin is the only worn item, I use a drill bit of the exact size as the hole, cut off a piece of correct length. I'm sure you could buy a new pin as well. (I suggest while trying the fit you stick a rag into the top of the transmission to catch it should you drop it.) A drill bit works as its hardened steel. The second area to wear is the slot in the shift lever that the index pin rides in. I have welded to build it up and used a die grinder and file to re-smooth the slot, you need to be sure the index pin will slide freely the entire length. A better bet if your not as proficient at welding and finish work with the die grinder is to locate a replacement shift lever in better condition. The worst scenario is when the hole in the transmission cover that the index pin sets in is also worn. I have drilled it to the next drill size larger made my index pin as stated and then reworked the shift lever to widen the groove to accept the new size index pin. MM

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:35 pm

Found this video which will help if you've never had the shifter apart.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXSdniEENpc
I don't see the need to remove the entire shift cover as long as you take precautions to not drop the pin down between the gears and use a rag to catch any metal chips if you drill it out. This may not be your transmission but should be similar. MM

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:06 pm

Is it sloppy in all gears or just a sloppy second?
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:32 pm

Not that it really matters in this case BUT a 1200 what? My crystal ball is still on the fritz.
Is there a letter before or after the digit's? An "A" before is for a '64-'65 and the parts manual is MT-110,an A after = '66,B='67,C='68 and they are in the MT-118 (any of the above should go in the A,B,C section btw) a D after = '69-'70 and the PM is MT-124.
Posting the correct info can make a difference time and again.

Anyway, I did some looking and your trans. can be either a Warner T-98A or T-18. Both use the same shift lever locating pin so you may be able to find one locally,Jeep & Ford were big users of these too.

PN's if you want to go that route
T-98A/T-18
103736 IH
4499A Warner Gear
D2TA-7B125-A Ford

Found these as well
T-19(?)
20491R1 IH
3C34-6B041-BA Ford
4499B Warner Gear

Mike,did you make that video? Look's exactly what you described. As I remember though,the pin shouldn't just slide in like that,it should need a little tapping(?). In the vid even after his "fix" the pin still has a bit of wobble and to me that will eventually start wearing the hole and the same issue will reappear.

Seems like the drill bit fix is used a lot...
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=wa ... in&start=0
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:44 pm

Scott, no I didn't make the video. He did pretty much do what I attempted to describe. Seems like if you have a set of letter drill bits you can get a tighter fit, I don't remember still having the slop, but
I'm sure that would be a whole lot better than the before! You could drill to (17/64) 0.2656 and make the pin from an H drill bit 0.266. MM

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:56 pm

I was joking about the vid Mike. You could also look for drill rod,like maybe a local machine shop would sell a short piece. Or buy a nice length,it makes good drift punches etc.
I don't see why a hardened roll pin wouldn't work,just point the slot up or down. It would fit nice and tight for sure.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:12 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:Is it sloppy in all gears or just a sloppy second?

a sloppy second is better than a sloppy third or forth in my opinion :t0213:

I've used cut off drill bit to make a new pin to keep shifter in line,

I had a 64 that had side swing both ways that was incredible, lil chunka bit fixed it.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:40 pm

Thanks, Jon for clearing that up. :t1809:
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Return to 1000 Series