75 200 carb and stalling

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat May 31, 2014 10:48 pm

Re: 75 200 carb and stalling

CB, I just checked the SSS website, and they list a 350 cfm carb for just under $400. If that is indeed what is wrong with his V-304. plus, I have learned to trust the guys there. Enough I bought a truck there. Just my 2 cents worth. Bill

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:30 am

The thread started out fine until someone brought up a totally different carburetor.Then all hell breaks loose! :roll:

All the OP asked for was a little insight of where and what to check for solving a few problems,nothing more,nothing less.

I didn't miss a thing,it's all incidental and essentially a moot subject since the OP did not ask for replacement carb. info.
I do agree a 500CFM carb would likely be too much for a 304 though,at least a stock one.

Btw,
IH used the 2300 on the 266,304 & 345 over a span of 20+ years. If they had issues with it not performing they would have used a different one. Albeit they were jetted differently for each engine.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:37 am

Scott, I suggested he look for the orignal model (list number) not that the 2300 is not suitable. There are a number of ventui sizes on the 2300 not to mention jetting and other things like transision slots. As someone else mentioned the 500 CFM was made for raceing where 2bbl were in the rules, it is not real a good carb to try and use on a 304. I am refering to that model (500 CFM) only when I suggest that a different carb would be better. The correct list number or even one for the 345 or 266 would be fine and more tuneable to the 304. It is going to be hard to get the transision form idle to main metering right with a large venturi carb on an small dispalament engine, which if I'm not mistaken is part of the OP problem.
I think you misunderstood my reason for mentioning the other carbs (and engines) I was useing the point to illistrate that similer sized engines used much less CFM carbs.
The intake is set up for a 2300 and that would be the easyest to use, I am not recomending that he change from that, but there are (or used to be) 100's of different list# for the 2300. There are much better choices to choose from in the 2300 family. He is haveing trouble with an off idle bog, or transision from idle to main metering, and ventui size is the reason for this.
If the Holley 2bbl (and 4bbls) have a fault it is the power valve setup. Its all or nothing combined with if the diapharm leaks it sucks unmetered fuel into the intake.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:15 pm

Hey guys thanks for all the discussion, I learned from all of it, I don't mind the occasional diversions and suggestions.

As many people pointed out I know it is not the original carb, and oversized for cfm it looks like. I was able to get some vacc plugs from autozone for $3, took off the large vacc tube going from the air cleaner housing to the base of the carb and plugged both ends. I also reattached the two smaller vacc line to the air cleaner.

End result, starts easier, only stall/hesitates when cold, and nowhere near as bad as before. Once warmed up, runs great, minimal to no hesitation and no stalling!!!

I am checking this repair off the list...for now.... onto the front breaks, fuel gage, speedometer, dash lights.........

John NADZam
John NADZam
75 200 pickup

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:09 am

Sounds like progress! 8-)

I stumbled on something that will come on very handy I believe...

An IH service manual for your model you can use for free! From the looks of things it can be download too. 8-) 8-) (by section)
https://archive.org/search.php?query=su ... TS-2306%22

I tried and it can be opened with Adobe/PDF which means you can save it. :yay:
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:49 am

Proper vacuum port routeing is very important. Make sure you have them connected correctly. Large vacuum ports near the base of the carb are almost always used for PCV. large ports near the top are bowl vents and should not be plugged, but often are connected to charcoal canisters. Smaller line could be manifold vacuum,ported vacuum or ventui vacuum. these need to be connected or plugged depending on application.
Previous

Return to 1000 Series