Lucky, I guess.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:41 am

Re: Lucky, I guess.

Scoot, As far as I can remember, when I bought the overdrive transmission, it was from Outbackpartsonline about 6 years ago. A year later, we had a flood that put mud in everything, and put the idea of using the trans. back for quite some time. About a year ago, I bought 2 V-345's from IrishMike of Kentucky. One had a NP 4-speed bolted to it, complete with the clutch linkage. When I put the overdrive trans next to the 4-speed, parts looked like they fit. That's when I started to work on the 5-speed overdrive installation into a pick-up. It helped the days go by, and seemed like fun. Right now, the overdrive trans is installed into the pick-up. I used the shifting fork assembly from the larger 4-speed into the 5-speed, as the 5-speed didn't have one. Bought a new clutch assembly, and installed it, with a rebuilt V-345 and the overdrive trans into the pick-up. Bought new motor mounts, used the stock ones for a pick-up, but left out the center spacing tube so that the larger bolt would still go into the bellhousing. After getting the engine and trans installed, I did not want to take it all back out when I noticed I needed a way for the transfer shift linkage to bolt to the trans. I thought about that for awhile, until I noticed a similar trans for sale, about a hours drive from here. Bought it, and brought it home. When I used a clutch disc to count gear reduction of the input to output, I found out I have a simple 5-speed with first gear about 7.5 to 1. After I use the 5-speed that's not installed, compared to the 4-speed that came out of the truck, for a template for my transfer case shift linkage, I might use the direct drive 5-speed for a different pick-up I have. Both trucks are 4-wheel drive, this might get to be real fun driving them! Needless to say, I have been learning quite a lot here, lately. I'm sure more will come later. Bill

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:47 am

Re: Lucky, I guess.

Scott, I have been rereading the parts list you sent me some time back. It's beginning to make more sense as time goes by. After I started this project, I bought a different IHC pickup when my daily driver was in a single vehicle car wreck this past winter. Basically, A strong winter storm blew me off the road, into a guardrail. I'm OK now, but I still needed a way to work. I found a nice pickup at SuperScout's of Springfield, Ohio, and am driving it right now. I think this new (to me) truck must have sat for awhile, it has very little rust at all, but any rubber part seems to be wearing out quickly. I'm not complaining, but it has taken my attention for now. I intend to finish this project soon, as the weather is getting warmer, and the trucks out back are calling... Bill
Previous

Return to 1000 Series