1972, 1310 4x4 help!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:50 pm

1972, 1310 4x4 help!

Hi
I just bought a 1310 4x4, that I want to upgrade to power steering and power disc brakes. I also want to get rid of the dually wheels. Does enyone know of any kits that are available for these upgrades?
ImageImage
Thanks

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:57 am

Re: 1972, 1310 4x4 help!

No kits available as far as I know. Steering gear should be easy, pretty standatd Ross or Saginaw found on GM trucks also. Disc brakes possible, depends on what front axle you got. Easiest way would be an axle swap. Getting rid of the dual rears, well, that's an axle swap too...
Oh, by the way, you're in Norway, are you? ;)

-Paul
---
Paul Wargenstahm
Lord of Chaol Ghleann

Feel free to visit my IH pages at http://ih.wargenstahm.se
for tips, tricks, and lots of build pics and info.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:34 pm

Welcome to the forum,very nice truck you have.

Not sure where to begin... I presume this is your first International? There's a few things you need to know then. IH stopped building light trucks in 1975 and even when they were made there was little aftermarket support,now it's pretty non-existent.Even OEM parts are except NOS parts,engine (SV8),brakes and a few other things.
Before you go whole hog bent on changing things,I suggest you get to know the truck. One "tool" I always recommend new owners getting is a copy of the "Line Setting Ticket" for the truck. The LST is a spec. or build sheet that lists everything the truck was assembled with. You may have a copy if you got any paper work with the truck,I'll post images of 2 below. If you didn't get a copy there may be one in the truck if nobody found and removed it.Open the glove compartment (needs to be empty) and on each side there are spring clips,push them in and open the box fully and on the back you might find one.
Paul/pwa the previous poster has written a good basic explanation of LST's and what they're used for.

http://ih.kicks-ass.net/LST/LST.html
Click "Introduction" on left to learn more.

This is what an LST from inside a truck looks like;

This is what a full size copy looks like;

The above is for a 1310 4x2,yours should be similar.Open either pic in a new tab for a larger view.

Another forum member has a site with an array of IH parts and service manuals and has a complete MT-131 parts manual which covers your truck.
Main menu;
https://app.box.com/s/otkihx6yoa/1/26460540

MT-131 Parts manual;
https://app.box.com/shared/otkihx6yoa/1/22059686

All folders/files at the above site are PDF's and downloadable,I got a few I use a lot and always use Adobe Reader to open/view them even on-site as they are larger. Saving them also gives the ability to use "sticky notes" which I do often.

The Chassis number (aka VIN) will be needed at times so make note of it,also it is usually on the LST in the upper right (cut off in both pics above).The part needed most is from the middle letters and following digits ie; CHA10001. Check the "general info" file in the MT-131 for more info.

If you go looking for parts on line,beware! I have found many sites to be wanting when it comes to accuracy, I prefer using the IH part number and either crossing it if able or doing a Google search with it. I have also made lists of my own,some of which have parts applicable to your truck.

The things you wish to change may not be all that easy to figure out what will work. As Paul stated,there are no "kits" available that I can think of. A donor vehicle would be ideal,especially for the steering. With yours being 4wd adds to the difficulty. I'll check a few things and post my findings. Neither will be cheap so be prepared for sticker shock.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:30 am

Wow, that was a lot of useful information, thanks. I am located in Norway and yes this is my first international:). I starting to have second thoughts about getting rid of the dually wheels, even about the disk brakes. The truck only has about 1000 miles on the clock, and is in perfect condition, so it feels a little wrong to change things that work well. I think I will start by installing a servo brake pump and a servo steering. I will also find some new wheels and tires at least for the front as they are really thin.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:58 am

If you can not find your LST, you should be able to order one from The Wisconsin Historical Society At least for the International portion of your truck. If it was made in the US.
Laura Farley
Reference Archivist
McCormick-International Harvester Collection
Library-Archives Division
Wisconsin Historical Society
816 State Street
Madison, Wisconsin 53706

Phone: (608) 264-6410
Fax: (608) 264-6486
Email: askmccormick@wisconsinhistory.org
Web: http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/library ... search.asp

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:42 pm

Hasaladd wrote:Wow, that was a lot of useful information, thanks. I am located in Norway and yes this is my first international:). I starting to have second thoughts about getting rid of the dually wheels, even about the disk brakes. The truck only has about 1000 miles on the clock, and is in perfect condition, so it feels a little wrong to change things that work well. I think I will start by installing a servo brake pump and a servo steering. I will also find some new wheels and tires at least for the front as they are really thin.

I think you're doing the right thing to reconsider the wheels and brake stuff. If it aint broken, don't fix it.
Those drum brakes are pretty stout and will work for quite a few years to come. I'm kinda surprised that it has no powerbrakes, I always thought that would be standard on those newer rigs.
If you go with power steering, you could upgrade the brakes with a hydroboost booster. That would be the best upgrade you ever done, it would make the braking power just awesome.
---
Paul Wargenstahm
Lord of Chaol Ghleann

Feel free to visit my IH pages at http://ih.wargenstahm.se
for tips, tricks, and lots of build pics and info.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:30 pm

Found the LST

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:54 pm

That's great,glad you found it. I added a copy to my LST folder

Now I can tell you more about what you have...

The front axle;
02052 = Dana 70 Driving 6000#

Very good driving axle,still made so parts are available and there are a number of aftermarket "upgrade" items for it as well.

Transmission;
13427 = Warner Gear T-19, 4 Speed Wide Ratio, Synchro w/Low 1st.
Ratios 1=6.32, 2=3.09, 3=1.68, 4=1.00, Rev=6.96

Great tranny,same one I had in my ScoutII

Transfer case;
13142 New Process 205 1.96 low
Good unit,very popular in it's day and used by most mfrs. Parts still available.

Rear axle is the IH RA-15;
IH R-1165, 5500-7500# (rating = single - dual tires)

I was surprised it only has a 304 considering what it was going to be used for,I figured it would be a 392 or at least a 345. Probably good for you in a way,it's not a real gas hog.
Keeping the dual rear tires might be all you can do(?) and the best bet. I did a quick look in Group 17 and see the hub is different for that axle with single or dual tires. That means you'd have to find wheels with a different offset for wider single tires.
Changing over to power steering won't be easy or cheap. The 1310 4x4 built with PS used a Saginaw 708D steering gear which I found was used by other mfrs. notably Dodge 4x4's of the same era. While the drag link is the same for either type the steering (aka pitman) arms are not. I tried to Googled the pn for the arm,it doesn't even open a search,that means it's never been posted anywhere so finding one won't be easy to say the least.

You could try IH Parts America which is a Light Line parts vendor (and forum sponsor),they may have a used steering set-up(?) I looked but they don't list all the used stuff. They deal with a lot of 4x4 stuff and are the ones I'd try.
http://www.ihpartsamerica.com/

Search results Saginaw 708/708D
https://www.google.com/#q=saginaw+708D+ ... ar&start=0

http://www.justih.org/Binder-Bench/show ... php?t=6448
Note the Dodge models listed,apparently the same box???
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Return to 1000 Series