Lucky, I guess.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:03 am

Lucky, I guess.

Sometime back, I started a project of putting a 5 speed over-drive in a 1210 (3/4 ton) pick-up. I have some pictures of the starting process, but never could quite get the idea of how to post the pictures. A detail I didn't properly think through was were to hook up the shift linkage for the transfer case. Many members gave wonderful advice, but, somehow, I wasn't in the mood to pull that heavy transmission back out from under the truck, just to measure a bracket to bolt to the main gearbox for the transfer case shifter. I also thought about doing this for a newer 1210 I have ('73 model instead of '68) anyway. This week I noticed an ad for a 5 speed for sale not to far from me on Craigslist. I called the guy, and will go look at it Friday night. I plan on making 2 of whatever else I need done to finish this job, and have parts for the next one. As rare as some of the parts might be, I figure I'm very lucky, or, for some of us, quite blessed. I hope any one else gets lucky like I did. Bill

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:56 am

Re: Lucky, I guess.

Always Great when things seem to come our way to motivate us more! Pictures are now easier to post, especially if they are on your computer.
Look forward to seeing your project.
Lloyd

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:30 pm

Input shaft difference.JPG
I took some pictures of the project. I'm only half way done, but far enough I might be able to help someone else.
5 speed.JPG
5 speed with overdrive-T-34
Attachments
GEDC0019.JPG
Larger pilot bearing next to installed smaller bearing

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:33 pm

The first picture of the previous post shows that the input shafts are almost the same. The input shaft diameter is changed to fit the pilot bearing. The clutch disc between them fits them both, without much free play at all.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:41 pm

Larger trans. is only a little longer.JPG
Bigger trans. is only a little longer.
A few more of the transmission comparison pictures, I hope help.
Attachments
The difference in shift rods.JPG
Difference in shift linkage rods.
Smaller T-98(maybe) next to a T-34 case.JPG
Smaller trans. that came out next to the bigger one that went in.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:10 pm

I have been told that the flywheels are the same, except there is a press-fit insert for the smaller pilot bearing. Haven't tried to push one out to see, but it does look like it. The bell housings do not interchange, but the throw-out bearings do. The difference is in the throw-out bearing carrier, it has a matching inside bore for the input shaft of the transmission it came from. The forks seem the same size also, as well as the fork pivot rod. I have yet to make a plate for the transfer case, it will mount on the passenger's side of the T-34. Also, the drive shaft for the two the transmissions has a different size u-joints, so an adapter type of u-joint will be needed. I already had the shift rod bent to fit the smaller truck cab. Other than that, whatever I find out next, I'll post later. Bill
Attachments
trans. pilot bearing next to old one.JPG
A visual of the 2 pilot bearings.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:16 pm

Thanks Bill!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:46 pm

The difference between the SV8 flywheels is the pressure plate mounting drill patterns...
The light line FW [151117R21] is drilled for 10,11 & 12" clutches. The other FW [151115R31] is drilled for 12 & 13" clutches and was used in medium trucks like Loadstars.
What do you mean by "throw-out bearing carrier" ? Do you mean the sleeve the actual bearing is pressed onto? I went to the book and the sleeve and fork are listed with different PN's for the T-34/35 5 spds. A 2nd look and the cross shafts are different too.

See Fig, 11-5 here;
https://www.box.com/s/otkihx6yoa/1/64063215/603089876/1

Clean the fork well and look for a PN,IIRC it may be there.As with many cast iron parts the PN was in the mold and may not be very legible.

The sleeve is longer on PN 180155R11.

Here's the aftermarket PN's;

62634HEX = 2005-C
180155R11 = I 2005-C

Bearing only;
2005-43
2005-31 [has grease fitting]

I had a page bookmarked in my old PC from either BinderPlanet or IH Parts America forum that has pic's and measurements

Might be here;
http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/sear ... id=3795354

Edit/Found it! :D
http://www.ihpartsamerica.com/forums/tr ... ation.html
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:35 am

Scottso, after reading the thread you mentioned, I'm glad I didn't do any kind of upgrade. There are too many possibilities to work with, without pulling the trans back out half a dozen times or so. I haven't changed anything on the way the trans was bolted to the donor engine, so hopefully things will work out. It would be rather difficult to go to any junk yard and get a trans that worked without an issue to two. I am beginning to think buying the trans you want still hooked to the engine you plan on using couldn't hurt. At least there would be hope of having a match to what parts are needed. Bill

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:08 pm

This [link] may or may not be helpful.It's from the MT 132 Loadstar book and IIRC that's what your donor came out of? I don't recall exactly what you got with it though. Between the 2 you may have what's needed.

See Fig. 11-005
https://www.box.com/s/otkihx6yoa/1/26421826/533907136/1
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.
Next

Return to 1000 Series