Fix or replace radio?

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:37 am

Fix or replace radio?

I was trying to find a station on the AM radio in my '72 1210 pickup and the needle stuck on the far right side of the dial. Can anybody tell me if and how I fix this if I pull the radio out or should I just start looking for another radio?
I've been thinking an AM/FM radio would be nice since there isn't a whole lot on the AM dial up in northern Alberta.
Chris

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:36 am

Re: Fix or replace radio?

Others may know more, but my experience with the old radios, the dial moved a "thread" that the needle was attached to, which moved it back and forth. The trick is getting to that "component" and making sure that you have it "set" right to match the tuning plates. If I remember correctly, lots of little parts. If you do not care about "original" then go with a better radio, and speakers.
Just my thoughts

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:32 pm

Like Lloyd said,the scale needle is moved by a "string" with a small pulley at each end. If the needle is forced past a certain point the needle can get caught on something. A worse case scenario is the string breaks,though it's pretty strong stuff.
Does yours feel like the usual resistance when tuning or is it freer/harder? If it's about the same it likely got jammed,freer a broken string or it came off a pulley.
I'd open it up and see if I could find the problem,it's relatively easy, I've done it before.
There are 100's of web sites for vintage radio repair/restoration and a few that can put new modern internals into an old radio like this. Doing that all depends on how original someone wants to keep a vehicle and what they want to spend.

Here's a Google search result;
https://www.google.com/#psj=1&q=automot ... estoration

The radio was likely made by Motorola in that era.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:41 pm

Thanks guys, I guess I will pull it out and see what's what.
Chris

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:56 pm

Cris, years back, I used to work on those radios now and then. That string does 2 things. it moves the pointer, but also rotates the tuning capacitor. The two should be in sync, or at least close, whenever you're done. Something to think about. Bill

Return to 1000 Series