Another new IH 1100B 1967

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:30 pm

Another new IH 1100B 1967

Well i did it again. I sold another International thinking I was done, and just bought another one. Its a Viscious cycle. I think the wife is gonna make me sleep in it now. LOL..

I paid $3500 for this one and she looks nice inside and out. The guy had touched up a few spots with primer. The body is solid and the paint looks good. Pics to come. I did notice that it was leaking water on the trip back. And I now remeber the guys saying something about the freeze plugs when I picked it up...so if I was guessing I would say Freeze Plugs. The water leak, is coming from the back of the engine and front of the trnsmission, couple steady drips. I am assuming from what I read, you have to pull the transmission to get to them. Also to confirm on the water, i noticed no antifreeze in the radiator, i think the guy just kept adding water, which is why the water dripping was throwing me off, especially from that area. I checked all the hoses to, def. coming from inside or in between engine/tranny area. If anyone has had this issue, or know s about it please let me know. motor runs strong and sounds good, tranny shifts good to.

Also I have never had the air breather that sits in oil before. Anybody know how these work, Maintenance? I am hoping I did not get ripped off, even having to change out freeze plugs.

Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Rob

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: Another new IH 1100B 1967

Oil bath aircleaners ( the correct name for them) are one of the best flowing and lowest restriction air filters while still doing a very good job of cleaning the air.
The work in this way. The air is required to make a sharp 180 deg turn just above the oil. Heavyer dirt partical can not reverse direction quickly and get trapped in the oil. Some oil mist coats the metal "maze" inside the upper 1/2 of the cleaner, these trap the smaller particals that made it past the U turn.
Serviceing is simple. dump and re-fill the oil at every oil change, wipeing out the grit from the sump. Re fill with engine oil (10w-40) to the indicated line.
If the maze potion is badly dirty you can soak in kero agatate and blow dry. In the old days, we dunked them in carb cleaning tanks, which took everything, dirt, paint and decals!, repainted and re installed. This was only done once in 100,000 miles or so.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:00 am

If the guy had straight water in it, that might account for the freeze plugs being toast :?

What kind of engine does it have?

Might want to get a Metro next time- more room to sleep in! :lol:
"How the heck did that happen?"

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:47 pm

It has a 266 in it. Ok thanks with Air filter description. Well i was going to take to a guy and look and confirm the freeze plug issue, however the 2BBL carb decided to take a dump. Fuel was coming out all over. So now I ahve tp address that issue.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:34 pm

steer as much as you can, away from the Ethanol blend fuels. the more Ethanol the harder it is on the old rubber and gaskets in the Original parts. If you rebuild your Carb, look for a kit that will stand up to the ethanol blend fuel.
Just my thoughts. blend fuel really messes up the lawn mower. Wonder if the geniuses gave that any thought when they fousted that stuff on us.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:23 am

Yeah i was wondering about fuel. I asked the guy who had it before me what he ran through it, he said 87. Do most just add an additive with each tank? Also I am thinking, when I was changing the fuel filter up by the carb, it probably sucked in some of the rust particles i saw in the old filter. So I am gonna pull the carb and clean it out and see if that makes a difference.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:58 am

studman575 wrote:Yeah i was wondering about fuel. I asked the guy who had it before me what he ran through it, he said 87. Do most just add an additive with each tank? Also I am thinking, when I was changing the fuel filter up by the carb, it probably sucked in some of the rust particles i saw in the old filter. So I am gonna pull the carb and clean it out and see if that makes a difference.

This is a page that you can look to see if there is Non-Ethanol blend fuel close by you. http://www.buyrealgas.com/
Ethanol will attack the rubber in lines, Fuel pump, Carb pretty much any of the old original stuff. Others with more tech can tell you the reasons why.
If you are getting "rust" particles in your filter, you might give some thought to pulling the tank and "cleaning" it out. After a real good cleaning, look for a tank sealer/coating that is resistant to the ethanol. If resistant to ethanol, then it will handle regular gas also.
Just my Thoughts

Lloyd

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:41 am

Back to the freeze plug issue. I sure hope this is located in a warm weather climate where the block didn't freeze and crack! The 2bbl Holley 2300 on my 71 Travelall the big fuel leak was the accelerator pump diaphragm. Old and brittle then the ethanol attacked it. It is located on the front right side as your looking at it, You have to remove the carb and turn it upside down to remove it (4 screws) located on bottom side of float bowl if I remember correctly. Napa stocks just the diaphragm if you don't want to buy the kit and rebuild the whole carb. There are 2 different diaphragms depending on which carb so take the old one with you. MM

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:31 pm

Well I know it has been in Florida since 2009, and here it will stay. I am hoping as well its nothing major. I will check out the page on the gas nearby. Pulled the Carb today and cleaned it, and that cleared that problem, drove about 20 miles and no leaks from carb. Reference that 4 screw diaphram under the carb, i removed it today..looks in good shape, the guy did say it had been rebuilt...but of course you can never put to much stock in that. But from what I saw everything looked good.

Next is seeing how much a friend of mine is gonna charge me too replace the rear ones. Only other thing that needs addressed is the lifters seem to be making a little noise..pretty sure its not the exhaust, but will get a better idea when it goes to the mechanic.

Hey thanks for all the imput so far. I will try to get a pic on here soon.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:55 pm

RE the lifter noise: I bought a 74 Scout II with the 345 brand new. The lifters seemed to stick and clatter periodically until I switched to Valvoline oil. Once I switched oil I didn't have that problem anymore. I now have a 71 Travelall with a 345 that the lifters were clattering really bad when I bought it. There were 3 bad lifters and 3 bent pushrods. So I suggest you do make sure you don't have a bad lifter but if you periodically get a couple that stick and clatter, you try a different brand of oil. MM
Next

Return to 1000 Series