first post in a long time, trying to buy a rare IHC

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:50 am

first post in a long time, trying to buy a rare IHC

I have been without an IHC for a long time. My daily driver now is a '55 Studebaker truck. I am however, trying to talk a friend of mine into selling me a rare IHC truck out of his collection. It is a '71 Johnny Reb edition. His is equipped with a 345 and automatic trans. It is pretty solid except for the hood, but he has a spare hood for it. One hub cap is missing. The engine runs but needs a tune up. The trans seems fine. I hope to get it and restore it.
I would post a pic if I could.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:06 pm

Re: first post in a long time, trying to buy a rare IHC

I used to buy these trucks from a few hundred bucks to free. At the values put on these OLD IHC pickups in 2019, I wish I had not turned down so many.
Be patient and you might be disappointed. Then again, you could get lucky. I almost always enjoyed the chase more than the catch. :h0231:
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:06 pm

I hope you get it. Johnny Rebs are cool. I don't see them very often.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:39 pm

I rec'd a message from the owner saying that if I was still interested in the Johnny Reb truck to come see him. I'm on my way. :yay:

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:48 pm

20190531_104039.jpg
the interior all looks good, hard to believe- no cracks in the dash & perfect steering wheel
20190531_104136.jpg
a spare hood comes with the truck and all the rust spots are surface & stains only, no cancer, missing door mldng is in the bed
OK, I thought that the Johnny Reb truck had sold back in July. Turns out the deal fell thru so I'm still in the running!

Today, 12/10, I talked to the owner and he finally told me a price. It's a little higher than I hoped but I will go look again and make a counter offer, in person, prepared to probably pay his price. Hagerty says it's worth $6400 in #4 condition and his price is a fraction of that.

Return to 1000 Series