Brake Info from Line Setting Ticket

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:29 pm

Re: Brake Info from Line Setting Ticket

Since you seem to have your mind made up nothing I say about what the books list matters. :roll:

The "plate" you have is listed as the mounting bracket and there are a few different ones,take a look in the book,it's under brake pedal and linkage.You may still have to modify it.

Just be aware that a FW booster for the lower models will very likely not be able to handle the larger brakes of a 1500. One along the lines of a GM P30 chassis is probably a good choice.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:25 pm

Scottso, I do hope that in trying to weigh one idea against another, I don't seem obstinate. I'm simply, in my own mind, take two ideas to their extreme limit, so I can see which is better. Right now, I'm trying to upload about 15 pictures, to show how either idea might work. For the idea of a dual circuit using a frame mounted booster, with a fender mounted booster, I have pictures to support how it might be done.. I also have a picture of a '68 with a dual circuit, but no booster. Add to that a booster from a '71, with a spacer that a is just a touch more in length than a separate hydraulic master would be, mounted beside it. If I understand correctly, IH would use technology that was simple, and would work regardless. I'm going to try to put the pictures on my gallery, so you can see what I mean. Also, I am fully aware that others will read this, and might try what I'm doing. For that reason also, I want to do what is the best idea, one way or another. Please continue to provide advice. Bill

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:04 pm

Scottso, I have the pictures posted, but it didn't turn out as well as I would hope. Someday, I hope to learn how to tell a story with the gallery, but that might take some time. Hope it makes enough sense. Bill

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:40 pm

pwa and Scottso, I found the parts I wanted at Scout Connection. The only thing slowing me down is "sticker shock". That, and I was reminded of other projects I have to finish first. Such is life, is it not? Scottso, the information you gave me was a big help. With the wheel cylinders being the same for A, B, and C models, and the master cylinder changing from a single circuit to a dual one within those years, it let me know that I could change the system safely using stock parts. IH employed many engineers to build these trucks, and I like to keep things stock, somewhat. Upgrading to a newer year doesn't seem that bad an idea, to me, if done right. Again, thanks for the help! Bill

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:12 pm

Bill, I'm glad that you're asking advice,and not just buying a dual-pot,vac-boosted M.C.. A friend of mine didn't do his brake "homework" ,and it COST him! :h0212: He has a '58 Chebby Viking 6700 (2-ton),school bus,and he bought a frame mounted M.C.,with a vacuum-booster. Nice thought,but this was designed for use in PICK-UPS,NOT 2-TONS! He scrapped the hydrovac,pre-maturely,along with the (Vacuum), reservoir tank. He is THINKING about a P-30 M.C.,like Scottso suggested,but has a "Bright Idea' of power steering,and using that pump as a booster! MORE $$$$! So far,he spent over $1,000.00,and still NO BRAKES!!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:14 pm

Today has been a good day. I have a friend, Brad Jenkins, who agreed to do the work for me. He has access to enough info to set the brakes up without too much trouble. I plan on retiring in less than 4 years, so I traded him one of my trucks he wanted if he got 2 of mine roadworthy. The rest of them I'll either fix or use up. I live in a small subdivision with a third of an acre lot, so hiding 10 trucks as cost more time than it has been worth. I want to take enough pictures of a before and after of the project so that anyone who wants to do what I have arranged can safely. To all that helped in this, I am grateful. More questions will come later, I'm sure. Bill
Previous

Return to 1000 Series