Start of 1210 Rebuild/Refurbish

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:43 pm

Re: Start of 1210 Rebuild/Refurbish

Today's work:
Bed removed. Came off pretty well. Time to move it to the garage do some dent repair and some repair welds and prime it sand it paint it.

Also tried to start the engine and had some trouble. First engine I have not been able to start out of an old truck. Carb is taking fuel since it is draining my pony bottle and the bottle is before the mechanical fuel pump so I'm assuming that if gas is to the carb the pump is functioning. I'm wondering if the electric choke has anything to do with it. It will run briefly on carb start and I try to keep it running using carb start but it will not which is a first for me as well. Spraying in the primaries on the 4 barrel. Because it starts briefly I'm assuming my spark is good. Thus, even though my pony bottle is draining i'm pretty sure its a fuel supply/flow problem at the carb or jets.

Anyone?
Attachments
IMG_2596.JPG
IMG_2589.JPG
IMG_2582.JPG
IMG_2581.JPG
IMG_2580.JPG

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:04 pm

bad gaskets? float in carb.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:28 am

Are you referring to the cardboard gasket at the bottom of the carb? I mean the carb sat for 6 years but upon first inspection looked pretty good. I know that doesn't mean jack with carbs so I'm sure there may be some internal issues. Just tried to give her a quick start and function/ leak check before I pull apart and replace all gaskets, rings etc.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:30 pm

From the looks of that spark plug, I'd suspect carb. As Loyd says, check the float. Next, check accelerator pump. might check jets, but not likely the cause of over rich, unless one is missing. Hard to believe, but I've seen a carb rebuild where the guy left out a jet. Spent a lot of time figuring that one out.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:33 pm

Chico,
Was not thinking about the accelerator pump. Again carb should be rebuilt after sitting that long I just wanted to fire it up and get it to operating temp so I can see any seals that have failed. Not a big deal as I was going to replace all seals anyway. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the info. Any concerns on that compression test numbers I posted earlier?

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:38 pm

Got to do a little blasting today. Went pretty good. Got to knock off all the crud and get it down to bare metal. I'm already at this stage so I might as well do it all. Hopefully get the dents painted, holes welded up and gas tank holes refilled by the end of the week and then jump into painting.
Attachments
IMG_2661.JPG
IMG_2659.JPG
IMG_2665.JPG
Before and After

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:32 pm

Today's work involved putting the truck bed on the cradle and pounding out dents and welding holes and stress cracks in the metal from the underneath side. Must've plug welded 200 drill holes for who knows what reason they were there. Bed wasn't rusted out so maybe it worked. Paint goes on tomorrow!
Attachments
IMG_2726.JPG
IMG_2725.JPG

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:04 pm

Got the first coat on for the under side of the bed. Trying a new product called chassis saver versus POR 15. Its about half the cost. Very impressed with it and it cures rock friggin hard. I can barely remove it with a grinder much less scratch it.
Attachments
IMG_2832.JPG

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:28 pm

Well front clip is off! The usual &(&(#*(@ bolt that would not come off or whose mount was rusted out so it couldn't be removed without some chopping but I got it done. Plan to pull the engine on Friday and replace all seals, build down, build up in the process and then have it ready to go for when the frame is painted up and I can throw it back in. Will be doing some more blasting this week and body work prep to get ready for paint. Bed is assembled and back in the garage. Will flip that this weekend too, fix dents, weld metal fractures and holes and then spray in the bedliner. Will be using the UPOL product as I have done multiple times and its just too darn easy.
Attachments
IMG_2891.JPG
IMG_2886.JPG
IMG_2882.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:40 pm

The SV's are known for shedding cam bearings, so if you going to pull it and tear into it, it might be prudent to at least check the cam bearings, rockers boats too! Much easyer to deal with on a stand than in chassis!
PreviousNext

Return to 1000 Series