Photobucket has gone mental.

GOT A QUESTION ABOUT USING THE FORUMS< POST IT HERE.
All questions about trucks, parts, etc. should be in the appropriate Forum, Thank you!

Moderator: Jupes

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:17 pm

Photobucket has gone mental.

I'm sure folks have seen this lately when looking at pretty much anything on any forum anywhere someone had a picture posted.

In one swoop, PB has ruined 10+ years of tech. They went from free to wanting $399/year for the Plus 500 plan to allow linking to pics hosted by them again. I'm sure people will be falling over themselves to pay that :t3716:

I had switched to a different hosting site back in March, so half of my build thread for my IH wasn't affected, but the first half was on PB and all those images were broken. I went back and fixed them in this case, but I have other much longer build threads on other forums and I just don't see myself going back and fixing hundreds of pictures. Plus some forums have it set so you can't edit your posts after X-many days so all of those threads/images are totally screwed now.
Last edited by gots_a_sol on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Joe
'54 R112

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:23 pm

Re: Photobucket has gone mental.

Never like their policies so never used them. It all about how much $ they can squeeze you for, while still being able to sell your images to others!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:38 pm

Other forums have many members in a rage over the new money grab. I stopped using PB more than a decade ago because I did no see any reason to continue. A person can use PAINT for free to resize pictures for forums. If a person does not lock their use and limit it to the pictures they wish to post, their lives in pictures can be an open book. Just to make my point with one of the members on this forum, I followed him around on PB and got his address, phone number, name of his dog, his wife and the clubs he belonged to. When I called him and explained what had happened he was shocked.
I cannot see any reason to use this service. Some forums have lost thousands of pictures and destroyed really good threads.
PB did not give members a chance to remove their pictures. Some users deleted their pictures on their computers and now have nothing.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:47 pm

I knew something was going on. When you google "images" it shows the same thing. Scary how much photobucket hosts.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:12 pm

On another site I do some admin work on, there are pictures that are gone, however, they have been gone for well over a year or so. I still think they might have been hosted on PB. Not real sure. Those pictures are what new members to that site used to try to identify their machines. I quit PB about 5 years ago, when all my pictures were on there and my computer, had a crash, and when I went to recover pictures from PB, they had locked me out and would not work with me.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:40 pm

I read something on the internet about PB being sold then changed their modus operandi under new management.
I used PB until I became more computer literate. I still have all of my pictures on my computer and I have not given up care and control of them.
Just before I left PB I was being inundated with unwanted commercials presumable targeted toward what someone thought fit me.
While I cannot say for sure, I am under the impression that the pictures I attach to a posting are stored on the OLD IHC site.
I have between 20,000 to 25,000 shop and build pictures and I am not about to trust any of these pictures to an unknown service. My using PB was little more than an annoyance and I lost nothing because I have not deleted anything from my computer. :t0116: :t10512:
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:40 pm

As with anything, pictures on any site can "disappear". For those who have been on OldIhc, they know. Up until December 2012 we had many spammers and hacks, we also had a Major one that was NOT our site, but was on the Hosting site. I agree with Nikki, keep your pictures on your computer, also on at least two separate removable storage devices. Even a computer crash will not delete them all, because you have backups. I am not a "cloud" person for my storage. I do not trust it.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:57 pm

For Chrome users, this extension should "fix" embedded PB images

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... fnflicjjgj
-Joe
'54 R112

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:03 pm

I steer clear of all photo sharing sites.

Return to How do I?