Title

GOT A QUESTION ABOUT USING THE FORUMS< POST IT HERE.
All questions about trucks, parts, etc. should be in the appropriate Forum, Thank you!

Moderator: Jupes

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:08 pm

Title

Several years ago, (2005), I bought an old KB-2 from a farmer that had it out in a field in Minnesota so that I could use some of the parts in completing my truck. I'm in Mississippi, and I have long forgotten his name and contact info. Now, I realize that I don't have a title, and I have scavenged what I could and am ready to show it, but I need a title. :t0174:

Any suggestions?

Ken

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:11 pm

Re: Title

Others may have suggestions. My Questions are this: What does Missouri require for an old vehicle? In Idaho, it has to be inspected to insure it is not stolen. It would have to have been in my possession for a period of time. If a Previous title did turn up, you may have to send out a registered letter to last known address, when it returns, you would then be issued a three year provisional title. During that time, someone "could" come up and claim they had official title, but would have to reimburse your documented expenses to bring it up to shape.
A lot depends on what Missouri requires.

I believe there are other options, I will not go into those.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:41 pm

lbesq wrote:Others may have suggestions. My Questions are this: What does Missouri require for an old vehicle? In Idaho, it has to be inspected to insure it is not stolen. It would have to have been in my possession for a period of time. If a Previous title did turn up, you may have to send out a registered letter to last known address, when it returns, you would then be issued a three year provisional title. During that time, someone "could" come up and claim they had official title, but would have to reimburse your documented expenses to bring it up to shape.
A lot depends on what Missouri requires.

I believe there are other options, I will not go into those.

After living in Missouri for years I could tell how I titled my truck but that wouldn't help the original poster since he is in Mississippi.
:o
1956 S-102 Short Bed BD240

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:55 am

Well they both start with M ! Yep, hopefully he got what I meant. Some states it's not to hard and others, might as well just part it out. Would NEVER tell someone to get a title and then try to match up the vehicle to it. That would probably be illegal in every state. But if he were to try to do something like that, he would need 1/2" tall stamps and put the numbers in the appropriate place, oh and make sure the old numbers are gone and not obvious that they had been changed, because the vehicle investigators are good and kinda notice things like that. Nope, would not want someone to do anything illegal.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:42 pm

Depends completely on what the state requires or allows. All the states have different rules. I titled my S in California. They didn't make it easy, but there was a way to get it done. In fact, two or three different ways. Might do a forum search. There are many threads on the topic.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:56 am

first place to start is the state department of motor vehicles. they might have information on what to do.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:41 pm

find someone with an auto shop, have them put a mechanic's lien on it, that you didn't pay your bill, he gets a new title then he signs it to you, might cost a few bucks but,,,,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:44 pm

bedrockjon wrote:find someone with an auto shop, have them put a mechanic's lien on it, that you didn't pay your bill, he gets a new title then he signs it to you, might cost a few bucks but,,,,

That would work. In Cal, I did a lien sale. Sold the beast to myself. Since the truck's value was less than 5 large, I didn't have to put a public notice the the newspaper. Just had to nail a piece of paper on my garage stating that the truck was up for auction on such and such date and time. Nobody comes to my house, so it worked out well. Mailed me a title a few weeks later. Cal still got money out of my wallet. Cal is skilled at that.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:29 pm

Chicojohn wrote:
bedrockjon wrote:find someone with an auto shop, have them put a mechanic's lien on it, that you didn't pay your bill, he gets a new title then he signs it to you, might cost a few bucks but,,,,

That would work. In Cal, I did a lien sale. Sold the beast to myself. Since the truck's value was less than 5 large, I didn't have to put a public notice the the newspaper. Just had to nail a piece of paper on my garage stating that the truck was up for auction on such and such date and time. Nobody comes to my house, so it worked out well. Mailed me a title a few weeks later. Cal still got money out of my wallet. Cal is skilled at that.

didn't say it was free, nothing is free anymore, but it Is the easiest way to title up a difficult vehicle, glad you got yours done OK,

I used this to get titles on a few old Triumph motor sickles back in the day,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Return to How do I?