timing 214 green diamond

GOT A QUESTION ABOUT USING THE FORUMS< POST IT HERE.
All questions about trucks, parts, etc. should be in the appropriate Forum, Thank you!

Moderator: Jupes

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:42 pm

Re: timing 214 green diamond

kjhogue wrote:when the timing slips as you say, what actually happens is it stretches and the slack causes the chain to skip a tooth on the cam gear. The cure is to replace the timing chain. I had to do this before.

yea, that's what I meant, but main point was timing mark is not gonna slip on crankshaft pulley as suggested,

as you know, if you jump a chain, $$$$$
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:44 pm

Mike Miller and I were talking in general terms about flywheel timeing marks vs balancer timeing marks. When the timeing mark is on the outer (pulley) section of the balancer it is possable that the bond between the rubber and pulley can fail, thowing the timeing marks off. There are many engines made this way not saying the one in question is. Mike brought up the flywheel marks on some engines, the poster commented about difficulty timeing them, and questioned why, and I explained.
IIRC the BLD and larger BD (282-308) have the marks on the pulley which is driven thru the balancer rubber. The Dodge 225 was another and they were famous for slipping, in many cases it has no outward sign (pulley mis alignment etc) that it has slipped.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:37 am

cornbinder89 wrote:Mike Miller and I were talking in general terms about flywheel timeing marks vs balancer timeing marks. When the timeing mark is on the outer (pulley) section of the balancer it is possable that the bond between the rubber and pulley can fail, thowing the timeing marks off. There are many engines made this way not saying the one in question is. Mike brought up the flywheel marks on some engines, the poster commented about difficulty timeing them, and questioned why, and I explained.
IIRC the BLD and larger BD (282-308) have the marks on the pulley which is driven thru the balancer rubber. The Dodge 225 was another and they were famous for slipping, in many cases it has no outward sign (pulley mis alignment etc) that it has slipped.

that's fine, but when a guy is asking SPECIFIC questions about his motor in particular, it usually doesn't do him much good to make generalized statements about other types of motors that are nothing like his,

but by all means, share,,,,,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:48 pm

Knowing why something was done and understanding as far more inportant than knowing spefics esp when someone asks If they understand the reasons, they can figuar the rest. Far better to understand why ring gaps are staggered on a piston then to know where excatly they are placed from the factory. (an example). If you understand why you can use that knowedge on any piston engine, the same applys here. Knowing that if the marks are on a balancer and that said balancer is rubber mounted, they can not be taken for granted that they are correct. If however the marks are not on the rubber mount they are more reliable, but things can be changed over the years and swapped balancer may fit, but be marked wrong for the (new) engine it has been fitted to.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:21 am

cornbinder89 wrote:Knowing why something was done and understanding as far more inportant than knowing spefics esp when someone asks If they understand the reasons, they can figuar the rest. Far better to understand why ring gaps are staggered on a piston then to know where excatly they are placed from the factory. (an example). If you understand why you can use that knowedge on any piston engine, the same applys here. Knowing that if the marks are on a balancer and that said balancer is rubber mounted, they can not be taken for granted that they are correct. If however the marks are not on the rubber mount they are more reliable, but things can be changed over the years and swapped balancer may fit, but be marked wrong for the (new) engine it has been fitted to.

I'm sure the original poster found this very useful in how to tune up his International GRD 214 motor,

the first thing I thought of when I tuned up my GRD 214 was: "I wonder why a Dodge 225 has harmonic balancer design flaws",

certainly made the tuning upthe 214 less confusing for me,, :roll:

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:50 am

All right Guys, The OP should know by now what needs to be done. Lets please move on to another subject, Lots of folks need help. Like the Banjo Bolt Question.

Thank you all for the insight into the timing issue.

Lloyd

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:37 pm

thanks to all skip57
Previous

Return to How do I?