what year is my pickup?

GOT A QUESTION ABOUT USING THE FORUMS< POST IT HERE.
All questions about trucks, parts, etc. should be in the appropriate Forum, Thank you!

Moderator: Jupes

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:07 am

what year is my pickup?

Am trying to determine what year my pickup is. I am thinking about 1947. A different hood & fenders have been hung on it, so the KB-1 badge is not the one for this unit. I searched some other web sites for info and some say the VIN is stamped on the engine while others say it is on a small tag on the kick panel location in the cab on the driver's side. There is NO tag located on the firewall. The stamping on the boss of the old Green Diamond engine is as follows: GRD 214 Just under that is a stamping: 185419. A little to the right of those STAMPINGS are the CASTING numbers: 61963-HH Directly under that is a casting of: BB Directly under that is a casting: 11-17-C. There is a tag attached to the driver's side kick panel area with the following info: Model HF 262242. Reason I need to know is that I am selling the vehicle and need to write a bill of sale with the description, year, make, model since there is no title available. Any help that anyone could be would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, so very much.

moparjunker

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:17 am

Re: what year is my pickup?

See if you can find the Chassis number, it will be located on the drivers side frame in front of the steering box(and possibly almost all the way to the front) These were hand stamped so they may not be real noticeable. they are generally 1/2 tall. If your frame is all built up with gunk, you will need to clean it to find the chassis number. With that chassis number go to this page: http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm ... 5529/rec/4
click on the date on the right side and then click on one of the date ranges like 1940-1947 or 1947-1949. Look for that chassis number in one of the ranges.
Does your truck have wheels with16" 5 on 4 1/2 bolt spacing, if so it is probably a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup. If it has larger wheels and a 6 on 7 1/4 bolt spacing it will be a 1 ton or larger.
I think all my info is correct, hope this helps you.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:22 am

I'm no expert and certainly not on K-KB models, however generally the VIN for your truck is on that missing tag on the engine side of the firewall. My '51 L-110 has the tag inside the driver's door on the kick panel and you have already said yours isn't there either. As far as I know, the motor numbers won't help with the VIN. My truck lists the engine model (SD220) on the tag, but it doesn't have anything to do with the VIN. Your best hope, right now, is the frame number as Loyd has pointed out. My ID tag also lists the frame number (32499), but it too isn't a factor of the VIN. When these trucks were made, the VIN was more of a sequence number and was not coded to include date-of-mfg., features, factory, etc. as they are today. Using the frame number, you can establish the period in time the truck was produced. The Wisconsin Historical Society is the most complete source of that info.
If your truck still has the original rear end, there may be some stampings/casting numbers there as well. Other, more expert people might be able to translate the numbers on the rear end into some helpful info. Or not.
I wish I had more info for you, but sounds like you will need to inquire with the state DMV where you live and get some guidance. I wish you well.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:47 am

ATTN WEW51L110:
Thanks for you quick reply. As you may have missed in my original post, the Tag IS ON the kick panel on the driver's side. It shows: Model HF 262242. I looked again on the firewall where a tag should be like on a lot of other vehicles, but find nothing. The only screw holes there are the ones that held the old voltage regulator. There are NO small screw or rivet holes anywhere on the firewall. Thanks, again.

moparjunker

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:08 am

Is the tag with the : Model HF 262242 a small rectangular tag? if so, I do not believe that is a model number for your vehicle, I saw one like that on the seat base of my KB8. Pictures of your vehicle will help some in determining the model/possible year of your truck. Some areas did use the engine number to "register" a vehicle. Back in the day, International would ship you a new "short block" with no serial number on it, the installer was to transfer the old block serial number to the new block, hence why there are some blocks out there with no serial number on them.

Pictures will help us.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:11 am

Please post a photo of your truck and one of the mentioned data tag. I have searched the Wisconsin Historical archives and no where do I find a Model HF listed. Could your data tag be stolen from a 49 GMC?
MM

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:24 am

the HF tag is for the body, the cab itself, has nothing to do with ID of truck, if you don't have the one on the firewall, passenger side, then you have to use the frame #s like Lloyd said

for some reason I thought it was on passenger side of frame, I'm probably wrong, but in any case your serial number is on outside of one of the frame rails above front axle beam area, probably under a lot of crud.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:06 pm

See, I told you I wasn't an expert! I couldn't even remember you said you had a tag on the driver's side kick panel. :t0116: :t0174: :t1812:
(But I do know the frame number is on the driver's side front frame rail, on the fender side of the frame and I have a picture as proof!)
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:06 pm

Thanks all! A lot of good info. I did clean off and wire brush off dirt (no crud/grease) from frame by the steering box, but found no stampings yet. I will look again in the AM. In reply to Mike Miller/old, I double checked the tag and it is printed: Manufactured by International Harvestor Company. Examining the firewall a little further, I do see where there may have been a tag attached on the 'passenger side'. It looks as though it was a tag with approximate dimensions of 3" x 5". There are a few small screw/rivet holes there. I'll now write a little more info that I have observed. The wheels are a 5 bolt. Solid front axel with leaf springs that are about 1 1/2" inches wide and also observed an old style 'knee action'? attached from the frame down to the leaf spring. A smaller, oval style rear window (about 20" wide), a crank out split windshield. The hand brake lever on the floor just to the right of the 4 speed gear shift. The rear axel has a set of leafs on the bottom and a 'rear half' set of leafs above the axel (overloads, I would imagine). While looking at the rear end area, I noticed a tag riveted to the bottom of the box frame, immediately behind the driver's side rear fender. It matches the tag previously mentioned that is on the kick panel. It also states that it is mfg. by IHC. It's printed with: Model FF(possible second F is an E)7 1/2 49926 (that's 7 and a half) I have no idea if this box is original to the frame or not, but is the same color as the cab. (doesn't look like a repaint job) Sorry to say that I am not at all familiar with the IHC line of pickups. Sorry to say, also, I find it nearly impossible to send photos.

moparjunker

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:36 am

All, Thanks, again, for all the help! I finally did find the stamping on the frame, as Lloyd said. It is: KB 2 47619. In checking with the historical listings, I am assuming that it is a 1947 model. 1947 model vin # starts at 28481 while the 1948 models start with # 49057. Am still wondering what that other "model # FF (or poss. second 'F' is an 'E') 7 I/2 49926" tag is for or signifies that is located right behind the driver's side rear fender, at the bottom of the 'upright' piece of the box. It is readable by standing right next to the rear wheel/bumper. Any ideas? Just curious. Again, THANKS, to all, for the help on this 'earth shaking, perplexing problem' that I had.

moparjunker
Next

Return to How do I?