wiring diagram

GOT A QUESTION ABOUT USING THE FORUMS< POST IT HERE.
All questions about trucks, parts, etc. should be in the appropriate Forum, Thank you!

Moderator: Jupes

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:05 pm

wiring diagram

I am ignorant to wiring. I am trying to wire my 51 L110 up as 12v. I see info to switch them from 6 to 12, but I am starting from scratch since I took most of the wiring out when I went down to the frame. I have the 6v wiring diagram. What I would like is a diagram showing the conversion completed. I think I could follow that. Also, it would be nice to see where the wires connect on the components when there are multiple options. The old wiring is decent, so I will use most of it. Also, I ordered 3 - 12 to 6v reducers to start with. Is there a way to put one before the regulator and make it easier? I'll quit rambling now. Any advice would be appreciated. I did search the site for diagram and didn't find any help.
Mike :bashhead:

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:48 pm

Re: wiring diagram

Stop right now! If you are talking about putting dropping resistors "before the regulator" you need someone who knows auto electric to help you out. Easy to make a mess of thing if you don't know what you are doing. The wires themselves need nothing to change from 6 to 12 volt. neither do the switches. the componants themselves do, however.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:54 pm

Best to follow Cornbinder89's advice and get some help. Our friend Irish Mike has a library of information we can use. follow this link and the R120 wiring diagram should be what you can use.
https://app.box.com/shared/otkihx6yoa/1/1328624730
MM

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:24 pm

I have the L110 wiring diagram out of my service manual. My confusion is putting everything back together ready for 12v when I am done. I don't think I can use the regulator in a12v system. Always correct me when I am wrong. The main reason for the dropping resistors is for the gauges. I just wonder where I can put it to use the fewest and make it work. I don't know of anyone handy in this area. I usually can figure things out and make them work. I'm nervous with wiring though.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:43 pm

Mikes Project wrote:I have the L110 wiring diagram out of my service manual. My confusion is putting everything back together ready for 12v when I am done.

You knowth not what you knowth not. As far as wireing, nothing changes from six volt to twelve. The componants, however must be changed or protected.
resistors do not change voltage, they resist current flow.
voltage, resistance and current are all related via Ohm's law.
There is no short answer to what you ask. Get some local help, ask at your local community collage or high school.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:53 pm

I was trying to follow this link www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/6v-to-12v.HTML to make it work. I haven't done anything yet but labeled the end of some of the wires. I will get some help though. Thanks for all of the advise.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:08 am

Yeah, those "how to" articals focus on the easy stuff, and gloss over the hard.
To change a vehicles electrical system you need to address EVERYTHING that uses electrical power, and change it to the new voltage.
Things like chargeing systems, ign systems and lights are easy, they are made in both 6 volt and 12. Things that are more vehicle spefic like wiper motors, heater motors and esp gauges, they have little to offer.
easyest is to scrap the gauge system and replace with idiot lights, look like crap but gets the job done, and you can hange an aftermarket fuel gauge under the dash.
Better, but far more complex, is to biuld a voltage convertor that supplys a regulated 7.2 volts at varying current to feed the gauges.This requires knowedge and skill that are beyond what most vehicle biulders have, but can be done. Perhaps if you approch an electronic guy or even somone whith computer BIULDING experiance.
Motors and resistors are a bad match, as a motor doesn't draw a constant current but it varys over the use of the device. Resistors resist current flow and not voltage! Better to replace the motors with 12 volt units. These are designed for that service.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:46 am

This is an option for you to consider. AUTOMETER and many other gauge manufacturing companies make QUAD GAUGE SETS that will look like the OEM IHC gauges. Another option is to buy a complete modern rewiring kit. The kit I am most familiar with is PAINLESS PERFORMANCE. These new rewire kits have all of the wires labeled every few inches. Take it one wire at a time and it is easy to install. These kits come with all of the pieces you will need.
The original 6 volt starter loves 12 volts and it will last for years on the higher voltage. 12 volts really wakes the starter up. A proper rewiring kit is properly fused, has the wiring for the fuel tank and tail lights as well as All of the gauges. The new gauge kit comes with all of the senders including the fuel level sender . A nice side, the amp gauge is gone and there will be a volt meter. You don't need an amp gauge in your pickup.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Return to How do I?