1953 Panel Van full frame swap

GOT A QUESTION ABOUT USING THE FORUMS< POST IT HERE.
All questions about trucks, parts, etc. should be in the appropriate Forum, Thank you!

Moderator: Jupes

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:29 pm

1953 Panel Van full frame swap

Hey folks,
A while back, I asked for suggestions and guidance in doing a full frame swap on my panel van. It was recommended I use a Ford Explorer frame because the wheelbase is very close (I have measured and its only about 1 1/2" difference).

In the end, I am after the original look with the comforts of modern technology.

I found a great deal on an 04 Explorer with only 62,000 miles. I am wondering if this motor (V6 4.0) will have enough power to push the van properly? I am going to use the van as my "daily driver" everything from city traffic to highways.

I appreciate any tips and advise you can offer.
Attachments
jorge4.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: 1953 Panel Van full frame swap

unless you are firm to go full swap, you can put a disc brake conversion up front, and a disc brake rear end in back, power brake booster/master,

but you still have the SD motor, (which is a good motor),

the main problem you might have doing a frame swap with a panel truck is most frames hump above rear axle, with a pick up box, not so big deal,

if you look at pickup conversions a lot of them have a raised bed floor to hide the hump.

with a panel you may find body sits too high off rest of frame to clear humps, or you have to cut your floor out to allow for the humps to stick up into body,

I've seen a few modified panels on newer frames and this was the case,

do your research, it may be better to upgrade components on your original frame than go the full swap, either way it's your panel to do what you like,

Nice panel by the way, I drove a 53 L series panel for years with stock frame/running gear other than taller rearend and a brake booster, plus 12V. conversion,

had no problem driving on freeway at 60+ or anywhere else.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:25 am

mark wrote:Hey folks,
A while back, I asked for suggestions and guidance in doing a full frame swap on my panel van. It was recommended I use a Ford Explorer frame because the wheelbase is very close (I have measured and its only about 1 1/2" difference).

In the end, I am after the original look with the comforts of modern technology.

I found a great deal on an 04 Explorer with only 62,000 miles. I am wondering if this motor (V6 4.0) will have enough power to push the van properly? I am going to use the van as my "daily driver" everything from city traffic to highways.

I appreciate any tips and advise you can offer.

207hp @ 5250 RPM (2001 - 2007) and 238 @ 3000 RPM (2001 - 2007), those are the HP and Torque specs for the SOHC engine that would be in that '04 Explorer. Seems like that would be plenty of power, it is pretty much double what the original engine had.

You may want to do some research on which transmission that Explorer has. Ford used a few different transmissions in the Explorer (also shared with the Ranger and Aerostar) some where decent and some were total junk. You would want to make sure it has the tougher tranny, the bad ones drop like flies and you can find Explorer's for sale here all the time for $500 or less because the tranny is shot.

You can do a VIN match on that '04 at any Ford dealer and get them to give you the part number and model name of the transmission and then phone a few tranny shops and ask them if that is a decent tranny (Ford dealer will say it is good no matter what, they never admit to building junk!)

Nice panel by the way!

Matt
1952 L 110
1953 R 160 (parts truck)
1963 Ford C-series
1982 Ram 250 Van
1989 Nissan Pulsar NX (backup/project)
1994 Town Car (daily driver)
2000 Neon (snow plow & yard vehicle)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:44 pm

I've done a couple frame swaps. You just want to research as much as you can.
With stepside pickups, slight wb variations can be handled by moving the rear fenders fore or aft.
However, on a panel truck...no! Gotta get it right on wb or move rear axle spring mounts a little.
I did just that on my '40 Dodge Panel on Dodge Ramcharger 4wd conversion.
I cut off the rivets and moved spring brackets back a bit.
The other thing I've found is that the engine on newer stuff is USUALLY mounted too far forward to be practical inside old sheetmetal.
I usually set engine/trans back about 8 or 10 inches.
This means dshaft mod, ex mod, trans and motor mount mods.
Something to think about!
On the other hand, once the electrics are mounted where you want them, the stock later harness just plugs in.
Steering and brakes are SO easy this way. As long as there's room for the steering shaft along side the motor..
Good luck
1933 IHC Bus. Cpe
1933 IHC B-3 f
1935 C-1 IHC pickup
2 x 1936 IHC C-30 Fbs
3 x 1938 IHC D-2 Pickups
1938 IHC D-30 fb
1941 IHC K-1
2 x 1947 IHC KB-1 Pickups
2x 1953 IHC R pickups

Return to How do I?