What is a tilt valve engine?

GOT A QUESTION ABOUT USING THE FORUMS< POST IT HERE.
All questions about trucks, parts, etc. should be in the appropriate Forum, Thank you!

Moderator: Jupes

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:22 pm

What is a tilt valve engine?

I was wondering if someone could explain to me what the difference in a tilt valve and a non tilt valve engine is. I would like to know what year they had the tilt valve engines? Thanks for any information on this subject. :t3724:

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:04 pm

Re: What is a tilt valve engine?

The BD's came in 220, 240, and 264 cubic inches. In the '60's they all would be what was known as a tilt-valve engine[as differentiated from the straight-valve Silver Diamond 220 and 240, and the straight-valve BD 220 and 240 of the mid-1950's]...tilt valve engines having a slightly wider valve cover. The BG engines' primary difference from the BD engines was a sealed crankcase ventilation system and a PCV valve, rather than a breather cap at the oil filler on the valve cover and a road draft tube on the tappet cover. And even though the BG engines were the same bore and stroke as the BD's, they were designated BG-221, BG-241, and BG-265. The valves were tilted off straight up and down, presumably to improve volumetric efficiency.
I Googled your question and this is what I found.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:37 am

I may be off base, but, I believe you could use pistons/rings from a tilt valve engine in a straight valve engine, but not the other way around.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:15 pm

simply put, when IHC made their model change in 1950, they dropped the flathead motor, and introduced the Silver Diamond overhead valve engine,

it has flat top pistons with the valves located straight up and down over the piston,

the BD and BG were a improvement on the original motor with domed pistons and valves at a slight angle above piston, higher compression for better performance,

you can quickly tell them apart as tilt valve cover has a ridge running front to back on top. SD straight valve does not.

Brian explains the differences above between BD & BG which I did not know until now. put a new wrinkle on my brain today,,,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:56 pm

Thanks for the information. I am new to old internationals. I had a Scout once years ago, but it wasent very old at the time. The thing I like the most about my 52 L110 is that people keep saying what is it? I like having something that no one else has and where I live you dont see any old internationals around, but you see plenty old trucks from the big three. There will be plenty more questions comming. Thanks again.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:05 pm

LLOYD SAID:
I may be off base, but, I believe you could use pistons/rings from a tilt valve engine in a straight valve engine, but not the other way around.
If it will exchange one way, it is reasonable to think that it should exchange the other way. Was there something that I missed or - - - - - - - - ?
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:16 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:LLOYD SAID:
If it will exchange one way, it is reasonable to think that it should exchange the other way. Was there something that I missed or - - - - - - - - ?

Again, I will say, I could be wrong, but Tilt valve pistons have a step in them I believe. giving room for the valves to not to hit, the straight top piston would let the valves hit, as they do not have the "space" Again, I could be way off base. Am I wrong?

Lloyd

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:20 am

One person mixed the two and ended up with a CR of about 15:1 ! I'm not sure which way it was but I wouldn"t mix without some serious checking. The ring might be the same but the combustion chamber is different with the pistons to match the combustion chamber.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:52 pm

bedrockjon wrote:simply put, when IHC made their model change in 1950, they dropped the flathead motor, and introduced the Silver Diamond overhead valve engine,

it has flat top pistons with the valves located straight up and down over the piston,

the BD and BG were a improvement on the original motor with domed pistons and valves at a slight angle above piston, higher compression for better performance,

you can quickly tell them apart as tilt valve cover has a ridge running front to back on top. SD straight valve does not.

Brian explains the differences above between BD & BG which I did not know until now. put a new wrinkle on my brain today,,,

So are you saying there was never a tilt valve SD engine?? if thats so what the devil is in my truck because its a tilt valve engine :|
1952 L-112 Long Bed BD220 3 speed, 4x4.
1962 Dodge Dart 330, 392 Hemi, T56 6 speed manual.
1986 GMC K1500 Jimmy, 396 V8, 700R4, 208C, 4x4.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:14 pm

Ethan wrote:
bedrockjon wrote:simply put, when IHC made their model change in 1950, they dropped the flathead motor, and introduced the Silver Diamond overhead valve engine,

So are you saying there was never a tilt valve SD engine?? if thats so what the devil is in my truck because its a tilt valve engine :|

I see the pictures of your truck, you do have a tilt valve engine in there,

since all evidence I've seen that tilt valve motors didn't exist in 1952,

I'd say you have a transplant of a later motor, or possibly a tilt valve head on your motor.

but again, this is International, what does your serial number ID on your block say?
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!
Next

Return to How do I?