My First Truck (Fuel pump question)

GOT A QUESTION ABOUT USING THE FORUMS< POST IT HERE.
All questions about trucks, parts, etc. should be in the appropriate Forum, Thank you!

Moderator: Jupes

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:58 am

My First Truck (Fuel pump question)

Hello from the mountains of BC. (sounds like a few folks close by) I just bought my first old truck, a 53 R 112. (will post a picture) It's all there, bought it from the original owner's nephew. He inherited it 10 years ago, but it's been sitting since. (inside a garage)
I'm very excited but my excitement probably far exceeds my knowledge, so I was happy to find there is such a helpful group of folks on this forum.
The truck starts and runs as long as I'm feeding it down the throat but wont pick up fuel on its own.
I have cleaned the gas tank well, I can blow through the fuel line, (and suck fuel up) so I am assuming it is the fuel pump?
My question: (sorry for the long intro) Wanting to test the fuel pump, am I right in thinking that if I take the fuel line off the carb and turn the engine over with the key, should I see gas shooting out the fuel line? (or does it need to be a closed system to work) Nothing comes out the fuel line as described above.
Any advice on testing the fuel pump and repair/cleaning tips would be appreciated. I have had the fuel pump off and cleaned it but again not really knowing the proper things to look for when it is apart.
Thanks, Dave in Golden BC

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:32 am

Re: My First Truck (Fuel pump question)

You are correct that fuel should come out of the fuel line. I would caution on doing this, you should have a hose on the fuel line and have it in a container to keep from spraying fuel all over the engine. It may be the fuel pump or it may be a clogged screen on the interior of the fuel tank at the outlet. My L122 tank had a shutoff valve on the outlet, if you have one, close the valve and remove the fuel line. Then open the valve and see if fuel comes out. If it is a good stream of fuel better change the fuel pump. MM

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:54 pm

Thanks for the reply Mike
Bit more info. I did have a hose into a container when testing the fuel pump, turned the engine over for about 10 seconds checked container, it was dry.
There is no shut off valve on the fuel line anywhere. |I had the tank out to clean it and removed the out going fuel valve/ inner tank draw tube. Blew it out it's clean. I can blow through the fuel line from carb connection down and hear it bubbling in the tank so would assume that means there is nothing blocking fuel line?
Starting to point toward the fuel pump as problem? Is it more of a replacement situation than a repair situation in most cases with the fuel pump?
Thanks Dave

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:49 pm

Dave a picture of your fuel pump will help. Some of those are rebuild-able, Some are still available as aftermarket. As long as the mount is the same and the "lever" position/length you should be able to find one, If yours is not rebuild-able. May have to route lines a little different.
Generally, it is the Diaphragm that gets a hole in it and it will not pump, or leaks from the body of the pump. Once you know which pump you have, someone on the forum may even have one, if you can not fix or find one local.
Just my thoughts. Heck, I even super glued a diaphragm on a pump when I was stuck out in the desert, worked long enough to get me home(and might have worked for longer) but I changed out as soon as I got home.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:39 am

Rock Auto has a couple different pumps that will fit. Very inexpensive too. MM

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:30 pm

12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:42 pm

Thanks Guys for the help. I've ordered a new fuel pump. I'll keep you posted.
Dave

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:00 pm

I got my new Carter fuel pump today, put it in turned the key and bam we're up and running. Seems like magic to a woodworker, ha.
Thanks Guys, brakes next! I'll put a picture up this weekend.
Dave

Return to How do I?