Restoration Shops for IH Pick-up Truck

GOT A QUESTION ABOUT USING THE FORUMS< POST IT HERE.
All questions about trucks, parts, etc. should be in the appropriate Forum, Thank you!

Moderator: Jupes

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:45 am

Restoration Shops for IH Pick-up Truck

I have a 1965 IH light-duty pickup truck that I would like to restore. I live in Pittsburgh PA. Is there a shop relatively close that specializes in IH vehicle restoration?

Thank you,
dab

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:09 am

Re: Restoration Shops for IH Pick-up Truck

IHC isn't special so any shop that meets your standard will work.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:31 pm

Check with any local shops to see what they know about Older International pickups. Check their shop rates, do some exploring for what parts will cost that might need to be replaced. You might need to go to many Different shops to get it "restored". If you are handy and have a place to work on it, that would be my first suggestion.
If you chose to have someone do all the work, grab your wallet and hold on for the ride. Most of these guys spend an easy $10,000 in a general "restore". Once you start on one thing, it generally leads to more things.
I am assuming that your vehicle runs/drives/stops. If all mechanical is good and SAFE, then just about any body shop can do a Cosmetic restore, again, money and parts availability plays a big part in what gets done and how good. Keep in mind, There are virtually NO replacement body parts being made for these trucks.
Pictures will help us help you better. SAFETY is primary!

These are my thoughts and my opinions.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:39 pm

What is to know about an International that would not apply to just about any other truck that is in for a freshening? Well, maybe fixit versus buy a reproduction piece. One thig my son and I have done, because we have Binders is, we stock a huge amount of body parts. Some will become trucks and other will be spares. We do not use any OEM IHC running gear. I find no enjoyment in driving something unreliable with next to no parts availability. Looking Old and running new works here.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:43 pm

Nikki said: Looking Old and running new works here.
That is what I hope to do for my L 112 once I get it back home. Newer running gear and motor(not international) Body on that. As I said, SAFETY is the primary thing, in my opinion.
If you want to drive the Freeway speeds then upgrades are a necessity. If you are going to drive it once in awhile and on the surface(slow roads) Safety is the issue. I know that there are several schools of thought. Like I have said, What you want to do with it and what you have will help to drive your decisions.

My Thoughts only.

Return to How do I?