1960's IH wiper blade problem

GOT A QUESTION ABOUT USING THE FORUMS< POST IT HERE.
All questions about trucks, parts, etc. should be in the appropriate Forum, Thank you!

Moderator: Jupes

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:20 am

1960's IH wiper blade problem

Hello everyone,

I am trying to help my dad with a wiper blade problem. He has several 1960’s model 1100, pickup trucks (pretty much ‘64-’68 with the curved windshield design that takes smaller length blades). A few years ago he bought 11” wiper blades made by Trico that fit on his bayonet style wiper arm. From what I can tell, Trico changed the design of that wiper blade number. In other words, the thickness of his wiper arm is too thin to fit firmly in most fits-all wiper blade brackets for bayonet arms. All of the common auto parts places say either the blades are unavailable or they mention Anco blades, which are designed for flat windshields (like the 70’s models). Does anyone know where he can get the 64-68 1100 model style wiper blades that will not fly off of the bayonet arm of his trucks? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Ann

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 am

Re: 1960's IH wiper blade problem

Try one of the vendors. RockAuto, they had some on hand, not sure if they still do.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:10 am

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I did check rock auto but my Dad tried the Anco brand once before and the problem with them was that they did not fit securely to the bayonet arm and they would not fit the shape of his curved windshield. Trico worked but then Trico changed the design of the wiper model number he bought so that they didn't fit on his wiper arm either. So, I am looking for any other brand or trick that anybody has in mind to make the Ancos or Tricos work with a 60's model truck windshield and bayonet arm. Any help is really appreciated.

Ann

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:55 am

Once my '51 L110 was ready for the road again, I was faced with trying to find new wiper blades for it. One of the arms had been replaced eons ago and didn't match the other original arm on the blade mounting end. I was able to find arms and blades by looking into the catalogs of Ford restoration companies (i.e. Bob Drake, NPD, Dennis Carpenter, LMC, etc.). With careful scrutiny, some phone calls and taking a little chance found both arms and blades that work fine. Pricey, though. The BIG THREE didn't make those items themselves and neither did IHC. They are sourced from suppliers. The key is to find the common factor in them and look at repro pieces for the era of your vehicle, not necessarily the same model years. And if you need to expand your search to catalogs with Chevy's too, so be it. It just seemed that GM was a little more unique than the more universal Ford pieces. Or to say it a different way, the Ford pieces seemed to be more like the IHC pieces in the wiper arena. (Maybe they purchased from the same suppliers) Having been on that road, I wish you much success.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:15 am

Thank you Ibesq and WEW51L110,

Like I said before your help and any other experiences and suggestions along these lines are invaluable. The diligent work that you poured into your L110 just seems like the proof of the love the Binder guys have for their trucks. My Dad's 1st International was an L110. He didn't pay much for it when he was a kid and then it sold because he felt he needed a newer work truck to work out of as he was a general contractor. So, he bought a brand new Dodge. He had a miserable experience with that 60's era of a Dodge. He said "I started with an International and went back to IH and have never looked back. He hasn't either. My Dad is 71 and he pulled out my Grandfather's (his Dad's 67 IH), and we moved using GrandDad's truck. Problem was that
we had to track down a working wiper motor for it so he could drive it on rainy days. Now we need wipers. I am used to the finite searching that we have to do for the IH parts so your suggestions "(i.e. Bob Drake, NPD, Dennis Carpenter, LMC, etc.)" and RockAuto are incredibly helpful. Thank you! Any other thoughts or experiences are greatly appreciated and I love sharing your stories with Dad.

Ann

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:14 pm

The IH OEM pn for the blade is...
331647C91

Same blade was used on the 62-78 Loadstar MD truck.

The blades in the photo are exactly like the ones I sold bushels of back in the day.
https://travelallparts.com/products/?vi ... t_id=13765

Google search;
https://www.google.com/#q=331647C91+blade
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:21 am

Scottso wrote:The IH OEM pn for the blade is...
331647C91

Same blade was used on the 62-78 Loadstar MD truck.

The blades in the photo are exactly like the ones I sold bushels of back in the day.
https://travelallparts.com/products/?vi ... t_id=13765

Google search;
https://www.google.com/#q=331647C91+blade

Thank you so much for the blade number. With the help from you and giving us the original part number and the links to where we can buy the blades, I was able to tell my Dad the good news! You made his day so thank you! Thanks to everyone who took his time and effort to make it so much easier for someone out here who has been struggling. You guys are the greatest!

Ann

Return to How do I?